↜ Part 1↝

"It's not going to be that bad, Cadence. It's just for a month, and I'm not leaving you home alone for that long. I'd be a horrible mother." She said as she set the car keys on the kitchen table.

"I want to spend my summer here, mom. All of it." I groaned as I squeezed my eyes shut. "My friends are here, not in Cape Cod."

"You're coming, and you're not getting out of it. The sooner you accept it, the sooner you'll quit whining, and the less tempted I'll be to chug a whole bottle of vodka."

"I'll be in my room." I rolled my eyes and walked upstairs to my room, where I slammed the door for emphasis.

I wasn't usually a whiny brat. Usually I was patient and calm, but I hate when people tell me what to do. Especially when they don't give me any choice.

I pulled out my phone to text my friend, Avery.

Fuck me. I sent her with a frown. Then, in a different text, My mom's making me spend a month of the summer in Cape Cod. Going next week.

She replied back with, What's in Cape Cod?

Her old friend is meeting us there. Don't know her at all.

Sucks. I'll miss u.

What a kind, caring friend.

Mom opened my door slightly and peeked her head in.

"Cadence, if it makes you feel better, she has a daughter your age."

"It doesn't, but thanks." I said, rolling my eyes.

"Why don't you lose the attitude, missy?" She said in her mom voice, looking at me with a stern glare.

"Whatever," I said, flipping her off when she closed the door. "Whatever."

Six days went by and I was packed and ready to go. As mom stuffed the both of us into the car along with countless bags and snacks for the road, I popped my earbuds in and slowly drifted off to sleep.

The next thing I knew, I was being shaken awake in the passenger seat.

"You slept the whole three hours. Now, wake up and help me bring the bags in." Mom said, lugging a heavy bag over her shoulder.

I rubbed my eyes and sleepily stepped out of the car, breathing in the ocean air. The house was cute and right along the beach. Ice cream shops and boutiques were scattered about, giving the area a very summery vibe. I could dig it, I guess.

"Doesn't look too bad, does it?" Mom asked as she looked out to the water.

"It's cute. I'll try to enjoy myself, I guess." I smiled, glancing around and basking in the warm air.

"C'mon. Marie and her daughter aren't here yet, but we may as well settle in." She led the way up the front steps as I juggled three bags and a suitcase in my arms. We were staying for a month, after all.

Mom reached under a flower pot and pulled out a small gold key, unlocking the door and stepping inside with me trailing behind her.

"It's adorable! Just how I remember it." Mom gushed as she set her bags down in the hallway. "Marie and I used to come here every summer when we were younger. I miss this." She looked around the house, very obviously reminiscing as she fluttered about and grinned nostalgically.