Dream Breakers (Chapter 3)

THREE

Time seemed to be passing as slow as melting ice, but eventually I realized I was standing outside of a wooden shed in the boxer shorts and long sleeved thermal I'd fallen asleep in. My senses were somehow sharper than they’d ever been. Things seemed more crisp and clear, as if I were examining them under a magnified lense.

When it came to dreaming of other people, I was far from being an amateur. I'd dreamt of many different people, on many different occasions - none of them by choice, never the same dream twice, never for the same amount of time. I'd seen them all. Aunt Amee, Harleigh, my old dog Fang, Noah once or twice fleetingly, my neighbors, even my parents before they died. But none of the dreams had ever felt as real as this one, which made me wonder if I really was dreaming or if I’d somehow been sleep walking. I decided then and there that, yes. This was all just a dream. That theory supported my already uncertain sanity a lot better than a sleep walking incident. Which would probably land me in some stuffy old shrink’s office.

Against my better judgment I peered into the little wooden shed, pressing it open lightly. Immediately I found myself in that dreamy state that I so often fell into whenever I noticed Noah Prideux. I couldn't help it, I giggled at how ridiculous it was for me to be in a dream-like state within a dream.

Noah abruptly turned at the sound of my laughter. “Hello?” he called.

“Shit.” I fumbled, trying to get away but couldn’t. I’d never been able to move more than a few yards away in my dreams. Silently, for only a portion of a second, I wondered why that was and then disregarded the thought. No time for it now anyways. I’d have to ponder that question another time. I was trying to escape and failing miserably at it. None of my exit strategies were working. Mumbling “get out, get out,” and breathing deep only made me feel stupid and light headed. I pinched my arm so hard it had become red and enflamed.

“Hey, hold on! Who’s out there?”

I knew she was stuck. I couldn’t move any farther away than I already was and if I was being honest with myself, I didn’t really want to. “Sorry…” I said ashamedly.

“Karsten Nyx Summers. Funny running into you again”

“I, um… I think I’m dreaming… So feel free to get back to whatever it is you were doing…” I mumbled, and then trailed off, feeling aboslutely freakin' ridic.

“Lucky me.”

“What?”

“So, how do you know you’re dreaming? People generally aren’t aware that they’re dreaming whenever they are. How do you know I’m not the one that’s dreaming?” His smile seemed to say more than he was and it took my breath away. He was smiling at me.

“Well, I don’t know. Not for sure, anyway.” But I did know it was my dream. I always knew. Besides, if it wasn’t my dream then that would mean that Noah was dreaming of me. And why would he ever dream of me? “It’s just a feeling I have," I continued. "The last thing I remember before this, is falling asleep on the couch in my living room with a box of girl scout cookies in my arms and my aunt Amee snoring way too loud…so I’m more or less certain it’s my dream.” Jesus. Why did I just admit all that?

Noah stifled a laugh. “We’ll agree to disagree. Before you showed up I was finishing up some metal work. Want to help me out?”

“Who dreams about something so ordinary?” Realizing I’d said that aloud, I cursed herself. Normally I had a policy to think before I spoke. Obviously that policy had flown out the window along with my dignity. And my self-preservation.

Noah laughed again. “I usually don’t dream too often, but when I do they’re usually a lot like this. Although, I’ve certainly never dreamed of you before." He seemed introspective. "Maybe it is your dream.”