Padman : Between your legs!

Only 12% of India's 355 million menstruating women use sanitary napkins (SNs). Over 88% of women resort to shocking alternatives like unsanitized cloth, ashes and husk sand. Courtesy, a study carried out in October 2011 by The Neilson Company and NGO Plan India. However, preliminary research suggests that these numbers may be misleading. The latest National Family Health Survey 2015-16 report shows that the use of Sanitary Napkins among Indian women is 48.5% in rural, 77.5% in urban and 57.6% total.

Based on the true story of the real Padman Arunachalam Muruganantham, inventor of a low-cost sanitary pad-making machine and messiah for breaking the taboo around the subject hitherto discussed in whispers, Padman movie attempts to stayfree.

R. Balki does a wonderful job in setting the context of the movie by beginning with a simple situational song which portrays the marital bond between Laxmikant Chauhan (played sincerely by AK) and Gayatri Chauhan [essayed effortlessly by Radhika Apt(e)] which forms the genesis of making the low cost sanitary pads a reality.

Always looking out for innovation to resolve daily life issues, Laxmi is introduced to "auroto ki dikat" early on in the movie. The five day test match (that doesn't bleed blue) scheduled every month leaves Laxmi perplexed. An old, soiled, stained, filthy cloth, deprived of sunlight, hung underneath a saree plays the catalyst in putting together a pad that costs as less as Rs. 2.

What lies in between is a journey that leaves his family and friends (barring a few) alike with a horrid expression of "why-must-a-man-find-his-interest-in-what-lies-between-a-woman's-legs".

Padman does a good job in holding your interest in the first half. Come second half and it will leave you stumbled. Sonam as Pari Walia incidentally happens to be Laxmi's first customer who later guides him to be Padman. What doesn't go down well here is the absolutely needless, unwarranted and hurried love angle slammed into the narrative for an unfathomable reason which is later brushed aside as "Josh". Tsk tsk. Clearly, bereft of any logic, R. Balki managed to leave a loophole that won't go unnoticed. Interestingly, a movie that is advocating the cause of gender equality, making period sound natural leaves you thinking that why on Earth can a man and woman be not just friends!

With a forgettable music and climax that fails to invigorate emotions of any kind, Padman is a one time watch. Period!

***