Chapter 5

Dawn. The sun rises and it's bright colors in the sky. Orange, yellow, and pink. Peter doesn't care it's early. He loves to be up early to watch and welcome how everyday he's Spider-Man. When he reaches the rooftop he changes back into his thin gray sweater, dark navy blue jacket, blue jeans, and converse. He runs down the stairs jumping over the railing faster and runs back to the room.

When he unlocks the door with his spare key Andi gave him he walks in but he doesn't see Andi on the couch sleeping. He turns to go to the kitchen and sees Andi on the phone at the kitchen table. She argues into the phone and pauses to let the other person speak. She turns when the kitchen door closes and Peter slips his back pack on the ground. Andi smiles at Peter and sniffs from a stuffed nose.

"M-Michael. I said I'm not going back. I came to New York to start my career. To do something I always wanted. Can you please-"

More tears run down Andi's face. She wipes the tears with her index finger and wipes her wet fingers against her gray pajama shorts. She grabs the ends of her cotton white long-sleeved t-shirt with her fingers and squeezes them in her fists. Peter kneels down and wipes the incoming tears in her face.

"Michael!-"

Peter grabs the phone out of Andi's delicate fingers. She stares at the tile floor and squeeze her stomach. She leans her forehead on her knees still crying. Peter slowly puts the phone against his ear to listen to the voice on the other side.

"Andi! Andi! You promised you would be with me!" The husky make voice yells

"Listen, bastard! You're not for Andi is you don't understand her choices. You shouldn't be with her if you're the reason she cries." Peter says in an angry tone.

"Who is the person who think they know more than me."

"Andi's best friend." He hangs up.

Peter puts the phone back to the receiver. He turns back to Andi and hugs her. She wraps her arms around his neck while he rests his arms around her torso. Peter repositions his arms to rests his arms around her back and under her knees.

He carries her to her bedroom and let's her sit on the bed. She looks through the orange glowing window from the sun rays shinning through. Peter doesn't have to ask because she answers. "His name is Michael. He was my long term boyfriend during high school back in Arizona."

"Why did you never tell me." Peter whispers while he sits in front of her on the bed. Andi slips her legs in the turquoise and white pattern bedding for warmth. "You don't have to keep that a secret."

"Peter," Andi sighs. "Sometimes...secrets need to be kept, promises don't need to be broken, and lies shouldn't be told. "

"Do you trust in in that type of "boyfriend" subject?" Peter asks.

"I felt as if I didn't need to tell you. Like...it wasn't important." Andi says staring into Peter's eyes. She studies his brown pupils that lead him into a tunnel into his warm, friendly, and loving soul.

"You weren't ready?"

"I never had anyone to tell. I kept it in...it went away."

"But he won't, Andi. Has...Michael...been bothering you about the move to New York."

Andi didn't respond but she looked down at the bedding and nodded. "I've avoid him for months but he has my new number somehow. I had a life before you knew me Peter," she is looking at him now. "I had to keep secrets and tell lies...all the time. I wanted to start over. My Aunt Jenna and Uncle Stephan were supported about my decision. But I think I came here not just to become a journalist."

Peter exams Andi's face. He leans closer towards her, his face becomes centimeters away from hers. Heat by heat. Andi doesn't move a muscle, watching Peter lips. Focusing on how they can reach hers at any moment. She feels safe and cold inside. Her mind telling her don't do anything. Her heart telling her to follow along.

Whatever she can do it's too late. Peter stops and leans back. His eyes closed and squeezed them tight. He leaned his forehead on Andi's she closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around Peter's neck. Peter opens his eyes then Andi opens her but is afraid to look at Peter.

"It's okay to not kiss me." She lifted her head and sat straight. She sighs exhausted and stood up.

"That's not the reason, Andi." Peter stands up and hold her hands. "I have feelings for you. But I can't kiss you right now."

"Why?" Andi's voice cracks.

"I have a secret."