my favourite hello » tobi-q

❝ you were my favourite hello, ❞

qq and i were friends. i think it was safe to say we were even good friends.

we knew each other since we were kids. i knew that she doesn't think she excels in anything she does, and she knows that i particularly enjoy playing volleyball more than anything else.

we never kept secrets from each other. we told each other everything. from our hobbies to our darkest secrets, we knew everything about each other.

there was only one thing i didn't know.

that she liked someone. and that someone wasn't me.

yes, it's true, i like her. i really do. i'd do anything to make her keep smiling forever, and i would like to take her in my arms and say that i love her, that i really do. that i want to be able to hug, hold, and kiss her whenever i want to.

so i made the mistake of asking her.

"oi, qq," i said, hoping i wasn't blushing, "do you like anyone?"

she glanced up at me, eyes round and curious, "why do you ask?"

"why can't i ask?" i asked with a scoff, "shouldn't i have the right to know?"

"possessive, i see," she joked, elbowing me a little in my arm, then saying, "i-it's [r/b/n]."

my chest constricted. like i could just stop breathing and just drop onto the sidewalk.

"him, huh," i said, trying to sound like i normally do, "planning to confess?"

"i... i don't know," she replied with a little shrug, "what do you think?"

"yeah. sure. do whatever you want," i said, but my tone comes off a little flippant and even angry.

she didn't notice though. she just smiled and little and said, "yeah, i should. thanks, tobio-chan."

i didn't answer. maybe because i was too upset or angry, i don't know.

+

qq came to watch me practice, like she always has been. she sat down near the corner of the gym, giving me a little wave.

i wanted to wave back. i really did. but then i remembered that she wasn't mine to keep. so i just turned my back and didn't return the gesture.

i practiced my jump serves to get my mind off the matter. i thought maybe i would be able to forget.

unfortunately not.

she reached into her pocket and pulled her phone out. she glanced at it, then a smile tugs at her lips. she said something to kiyoko-san, then bowing slightly. before she left, she glanced one last time at me, as though hoping for a response.

so i pretended to not notice.

i didn't respond.

and i regretted it.

+

taking in the rather stale evening air, i walked home alone. she didn't come back after she left, and i wondered what happened to her.

the café was nearby, so i decided to stop by.

this particular café was a place where qq and i constantly stopped by after school, or on days when we were bored and decided to hang out somewhere that wasn't at any of our houses.

when nearing the café, i stopped. my heart stopped.

there, sitting there, was qq. and in my usual spot, was him, the guy she was so deeply in love with. and they were sharing our usual chocolate milkshake.

taking a shaky breath, i turned and ran like the wind.

uncontrollable tears began to roll down from my eyes and down my cheeks.my heart lay in broken pieces, too small to be able to be glued back together again.

❝ and you were my saddest goodbye. ❞

···

[ 602 ]
[ 110218 ]

haha whoops + writing in the 1st person pov for once is weird

also if y'all want continuations of oneshots in future just comment lol