THE ARTICLE: PAGE ONE

NEWSPAPERS OF NEW ENGLAND: JUSTICE FOR SISTER MARY EUNICE

AN ARTICLE BY MARIA JONES 1970, Thursday, September 10th

It may be a regular day for you, but for me it's not. Today marks the sixth year anniversary of Sister Mary Eunice's infamous death. Before I get into the main subject, let me start by saying why I chose her.

Sister Mary or as I used to call her, Mighty Mary, was a dear friend of mine. We have been friends since we were little. I have to say, she was shy. Well at least before we went to that pool party in 1950's. It was a lovely day and Mick Robison had invited us to attend his annual summer pool party in the upper hills of New England. I immediately said yes. Mary shook her head for a no and thanked him. He left and I was all alone next to Mary.

'Why?' I asked.

'What?' Mary asked looked at me and then stared away.

'Why not? Mary you have to be more open to social events' I said, holding her hands.

'You know my parents-'

'Stop!' I said, getting angry 'Mary, you're going and I'm giving you my swimsuit'

'I-I' She stopped and smiled 'Okay'

I smiled like an idiot that moment, little did I know I led her to a journey to her death. At the pool party, we were all having fun. I wore my stripped yellow and white swimsuit and Mary had worn my black swimsuit that I gave her. At first, nobody was getting drunk or anything. Bryce Walldomon showed up, he was the jerk that you don't want to be around. He brought a big bottle of rum with him. Mick was all over the place, excited to drink. Bryce took the first sip, then Mick, then some chicks. It was back to Mick, he looked at me and gave me the 'don't be that girl' type of look. I smiled and said to myself, I ain't no baby. I drank an insane amount of the rum, I began feeling weird. I gave the bottle to Mary, and she took a little sip. She made a funny face, she obviously never drank before.

A few moments later, we all looked at each other and started talking about the new asylum, Briarcliff Mental Institution, that opened new in town. Bryce took a sip of the rum, Mary looked at him and said that if kept drinking he might be the first patient there. Bryce laughed and said that we should all skinny dip in the pool.

I remember Mary's eyes when he announced that, she looked at me with all anger. I smiled, even though I knew she was mad at me. I decided to go first and I did. As I took off my swimsuit, I heard the guys screaming with excitement. I smiled and jumped into the pool. Later on, everyone was in the pool. Except Mary.

'Come on Mighty Mary' I screamed.

'I'm leaving, Maria' Mary said as she picked up her stuff.

'BOO!' Bryce yelled from behind me.

'Just one jump, then we go' I said.

'One jump?' Mary asked.

'Just one' I said.

Mary took off her swimsuit and jumped into the pool splashing me and all of our new friends.

So why, you may be asking, am I telling you this? Well because the next day of the party, I found out that Mary's parents knew about the party from a snitch. They were so angry at their daughter, accusing her of sinning and yelling at her. My mom told me the news, I was ready to go to Mary's house and explain to her parents that it was my fault, not Mary's. But my mom told me that it was too late, because Mary was already gone. Gone into Briarcliff Mental Institution.

1