01 pretty girl

( P R E T T Y  G I R L)

Alex pushed down on the pedal of the red bike, the dark grey tires rolled against the smooth road of the empty sideroad as she pedaled down towards the edge of town. Her hair flew so elegantly in the wind, her light pink skirt and knee high socks, accompanied by a pair of black Chuck Taylor's looked like something out of a shitty cliche movie where the girl pedals down the street while the crushing boy watches from a distance wishing she was his.

No cars passed her as she continued on her journey to the neighbourhood convenience. Alex thought the small town of Hawkins was boring and in need of change. She was tired of seeing the same buildings, walls and people. So when she passed the old Partridge house with a sold sign out front, accompanied by a moving van, she was intrigued.

She slowed down as she pedalled past the house, her eyes locked on the back of a teenage boy coming out of the house. He had blond hair and blue eyes, and was shirtless and sweaty.

The blond boy wiped his face with a rag before shoving it in his back pocket, his eyes connecting to an unfamiliar pair across the road.

His thick brows furrowed when he saw the brunette pedalling by the house with her eyes on him before she continued her way down the street.

He walked to the moving van and watched as the girl in the short skirt pedalled down the street and out of view.

The bell rings as she opens the glass door and steps inside of the small store. Cold drinks are stored in the back while chips and sweets are placed on the shelves in the center while adults and children search for their favourite.

She placed her change on the cold counter, nodding to the back where the cigarettes are stored. The cashier handed Alex her a pack of cigarettes and she nodded in thanks before exiting.

She removed the cigarette from its pack and placed it in her mouth before leaning against the wall beside her bike. She ran her hand through her hair with a sigh with the cigarette hanging from her glossy lips.

She reached into her backpack and pulled out her Walkman, placing the headphones on her head and leaning back against the wall. She pressed play and took another drag of her cigarette. She sang the words of the song softly as she finished the remains of her smoke before throwing it on the ground and squishing it with her sneakers.

She placed the Walkman in the band of her skirt before getting on her bike. She was about to pedal away before a familiar face caught her eye. Little Dustin Henderson.

"Henderson!" Alex called out with a small laugh, her eyes glistening.

He looked startled for a moment before his eyes connected with hers. He rode towards the girl with a smile on his face and came to a stop beside the older teen and laughed.