Chapter Nineteen Part One

It not the small things but what you do with those small things that matters. It didn't matter that I was a vampire now. It didn't matter that I had a syndrome, all that mattered was I had let it all go. The death, the pain and the sadness, I let it all go. In this very moment, it didn't even matter that I had killed the leader of the Order, Jonathan. It seemed like a such a bad dream that I had just woken up from.

A rush of adrenaline soared though me when I felt the first signs of Elija. The warm feeling inside me was a breath of fresh air and I could tell he was close by, by the pure change in atmosphere. There was no gloom, sadness or angrier in the air like there was in the dungeon. There was gleefulness tinged with worry.

As Shia held my hand and walked us to the main exit of the tunnels I started to see the sun burning high in the sky. I stopped on the edge of the shadows of the exit, letting go of Shia's hand. I swallowed loudly. Would I burn to death if I stepped out into the sun? I had never seen the sun with my vampire eyes nor touched the rays of light with my fingers. Would it hurt me to touch? Shia was already turning a slight shade of pink and was pulling sunglasses out of his pocket. He smiled reassuringly and reached a hand out to me again. I nodded in determination and took his hand again.

I took my first step into the sun and had to hiss out a breath. It seemed so bright and the rays of light aggravated my skin, turning it a light shade of pink, like Shia's.
When my eyes adjusted to the light and the itchiness on my skin soothed a little, I finally looked up.

The scenery around me was desert with hard red sand and trees mildly scatted around the place. Looking over the small hill that acted as a divider from the view of the town of Coober Pedy and the tunnels was a road. A fancy car parked on the side of it. The man standing next to the car was wearing black sunglasses, his composure was calm and relaxed, his arms crossed at the front of him and his head turned to the side to look out at the view. His black curls blowing in the wind, his lips set in a line and his black suit didn't have a wrinkle in sight. I grinned before a smile broke out on my face. Elija.

As the name run though my head, Elija turned his face toward Shia who had revealed himself from behind the small hill. When I also stepped out, Elija lips tugged into a smile when our eyes met. I used my speed to run up to him and jump into his outreached arms.

It is funny how someone can become something to you, like an anchor holding you down to the ground and gravity is just some kind of myth that your mum tells you about to get you to sleep at night, it isn't real, you could fly away if you didn't have that anchor. Elija was my anchor and gravity was my worries, flying away. In his arms, I felt the life come back to me. It felt like home. It was like when someone couldn't find their way home but, with one look from him I knew, I was, home. Now how cheesy is that?

"I'm sorry." Elija said softly running his fingers though my blood strained hair. I pulled away just enough to look into his eyes. With a small smile on my face now, I grinned because I knew how sorry he felt and it was kind of amusing seeing him think this was all his fault. It wasn't. We shared this, we did this together and we were changing things. I wouldn't let him think that for one more moment that he wasn't making a difference. He was. He was my father. Not this Don Parker who walked out on me and my mother, not Don the vampire Hunter. No, Elija Williams, is my family. He is my father and I know he loves me. I can feel it. To show him he didn't need to feel sorry for anything I filled my body with the feelings I had for him. Of love and happiness. He looked down and away from me when he felt it, a large smile broke out on his face.

"Thank you." Elija said gleefully. I nodded and rolled my eyes at how weird his off sided smile was.

"Come on. We have a plane to catch." Elija said with that lop-sided smile. I turned my head in confusion.

Where were we going?