Chapter 1. First Glimpse

Rhode Island. USA's 13th state, also known by the term "The Ocean State". Capital city, Providence. The state between the borderlines of Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York. Its one thousand five hundred forty-five square miles of land and water territories is the dwelling place of one million forty-eight thousand three hundred nineteen people. Almost close to perfection because of medium humidity and the equal days of downpour and sunshine. A land that sheds abundance of red maple trees which, as a matter of fact, is the national tree. It is the territory that believes in and highly values hope. A very peaceful and quiet place. And somewhere inside its bounds lies Barrington. The very place where Thana Raven is heading now.

***

Smoke filled the air surrounding a trunk of a high maple tree as Thana's figure appeared standing on an extended branch. She glances down at her hips and noticed the formation of wrinkles on her tightly-fitted, black leather suit. She bent her slender body and smoothed out the frizzle, her curly auburn hair falls along her motion. Her face is full of fine features and due to the moonlight, her milk-white skin looked pale against her black suit. She regained her composure and leaned on the tree, her arms folded on her chest. She just stood there staring at the city just below the hill from where she was. It is 4:45 in the morning.

So this is where that feeble life force comes from. This city is in grave danger. I've never felt such inferiority in a long time…she thought deeply.

Am I to witness yet another mass destruction? I… hope… not…

A gust of wind blew and black smoke enveloped the tree again. And as it faded, Thana vanished from where she was standing, leaving the completely deserted.

***

Kreeeeng!!!

A long, loud ring from a steel alarm clock, rested beside a big lump in the bed, echoed throughout the room as its hands hit the numerals V and XII. It is 5 AM.

The lump, covered by a white sheet, started to move reaching towards the clock, the noise getting louder and louder as it continues to ring. A pale hand appeared from underneath the sheet, quickly grabbed the alarm and flung it across the small room. The poor metal hit the wall and crashed into the tiled floor, cracking into two, some springs popping out.

Jesse pushed the sheet off his body grumpily ending the motion with a yawn. He is wearing a white shirt and a pair of green-striped white pajamas. His short black hair is all messed up, tangled in every direction. He cocked his head to his left, his hazel eyes still partially closed. He brushed his pointy nose with his right point finger, his thin rosy lips slightly pouted, clearly irritated.

"Ugh. I guess I will have to buy another one." he mumbled to himself, eyeing the now scrap metal on the floor. "Why does it have to aggravate me too much?" he sighed, blaming the clock itself for being broken.

He raised both his arms and started to stretch his body, letting out another yawn. After a few seconds, he finally gets off the bed and started lazily into the bathroom just a few steps away from his bed which is in the farthest corner of the brown-painted room. Across the bed lies a dresser drawer standing side by side with a full view mirror. Between the bed and the bathroom is a study table nestling a laptop and a lampshade. Right across it is a shelf piled up with all kinds of books and beside it is the door.

He had just finished bathing when a sweet soft voice of a woman called up on him.

"Honey, breakfast is ready!"