Chapter 3

"A what?"

"A deer shifter."

"You must be out of your mind. I must be out of my mind. Are you serious? This is crazy!" I exclaimed.

He laughed, "Crazy, maybe. But yes, I am serious."

"I can't believe this," I muttered.

"Ah, but even crazier, we seem to know each other."

"We what now?"

He got up and strode over to the table by the door and picked up the picture and my dad and I.

"My mom died when I was young, I was only 14...she was shot by a hunter. By the man in this photograph to be precise."

"My father? No, my father isn't a murderer, he would never-"

He turned towards me and shot back, "I never said a murderer, I said a hunter."

I glared at him and our eyes locked. Green on green.

A deer with green eyes.

Clare's eyes widened in shock as she collapsed onto her couch.

'A dead doe. A fawn with green eyes. He was only 14. A hunting trip and a regret'

Clare stammered out, "You- you were the fawn. Weren't you?"

"I'm afraid so," he said.

"But- but that's impossible," I said in shock.

He gently took my arm in his hand and led me out into my backyard.

"Nothing's impossible, Clare," he said as he started to remove his pants.

"Whoa, what are you doing!" I yelled.

My question was answered as he dropped to the ground and started to...shift?

His hair shortened and new hair started to sprout all over his body. His fingers molded together and turned into hooves. His face elongated and shrunk as two antlers grew out of the top of his head.

I blinked, and it was over. The entire process only took about ten seconds but seemed so much longer. I stumbled back at the sight in front of me as I realized he was telling the truth and he could actually become a deer.

He took a step towards me and I took a step back. His eyes pleaded with me and when I looked closer, they we're the same green eyes I had seen on both Adrian and the fawn. He began to shift back, and I turned around. The sight was horrible enough the first time.

I jumped when a hand landed on my shoulder and I spun around to be met with a dressed Adrian. Well, Adrian had pants on, at least.

"So you were telling the truth after all," I said softly.

He nodded and led me back inside the house, seeing I was lost in thought. He sat me down on the couch and plopped down next to me.

"I feel awful, your mother is dead because of me," I mumbled.

"Nonsense," he said.

"But it's true, I insisted on the hunting trip. If I hadn't-"

"It's not your fault, I promise."

"But you were so young."

"Yes, I was 14, I'm now 32. Time changes things, even people. I've gotten over it," he insisted.

"Are you sure?" I questioned.

"I wouldn't have said it if I hadn't meant it"

I racked my brain, trying to find something to change to subject to.

I tentatively asked, "Would you like a drink or something? Tea maybe?"

"That sounds nice," he answered.

I led him into the kitchen and poured him a glass of tea. I turned around to put the tea back into the fridge and whipped back around when I heard the glass shatter. Shards of glass littered the floor and Adrian was clutching his arm. His broken arm...

"Oh my lord! I completely forgot about your arm. Come here and let me look at it," I nearly screamed.

He reluctantly walked over and let me take a look at his arm.

"I don't know much about human anatomy, I'm a vet after all. I think I should take you to the hospital," I said.

"No. No hospital. My blood is too different, they'll notice. Just splint it, I heal fast," Adrian urged me.

"If you're absolutely certain..."

"I am."

I sighed as I retrieved the necessary supplies from my storage room and began to splint his broken arm. 'Good thing I had leftovers from vet school', I thought to myself.

"So how did you break your arm."

"And your ribs," I added on as a second thought.

He grimaced before admitting,"I got hit by a car."

"Are you serious," I laughed.

"Wish I wasn't," he assured me.

As I finished up the splint, I asked him,"So where do you live? I'll take you home so you don't have to walk."

He looked at me sheepishly before confessing, "I don't live anywhere, I've been living in the woods ever since my mother died. My tribe kicked my out after they've found out about her."

"So you don't have anywhere to go?"

" I'm afraid not," he muttered.

"Well I guess that means you can stay here."