The Master Plan

Mira Bane grinned in delight as she sealed the door to her new champion's cell. Who better to kill the rightful heir than his love? Besides, love can sometimes be the sharpest weapon of all if forged correctly; she should know. She loved the king once until she learned of his betrayal.

She had married King Bastian when she was still a fledgling, barely even had all of the feathers in her wings; but it was love all the same. As the years flew, so did every opportunity to present a son. That's when Mira learned of her fate.

Bastian had nested a new young thing who quickly birthed a son for him. He thought his queen useless and that she would never know. But that was her secret to cage. And thus, her heart was destroyed and a new love rose from the ashes. The throne.

For the last years of his life, Mira had been poisoning Bastian slowly increasing the doses as to make him seem ill. And as he lay on his death bed, everything was falling into place until he ordered a fledgling soldier no older than eleven to his side. His son and only heir. Devon Demetrius Finn.

That night, she cast him from the heavens and into the icy sea below. The only thing to take pity on him was a single Arctic Maiden. Mira knew she should have had him killed, but he was unaware of his legacy...until rumors spread. Then, she knew he must die.

The queen made her way through the golden palace until she reached the bathing quarters. Inside, a large pool lay before her with ribbons of steam rising into the air. Mira removed her cloak revealing her nearly featherless wings reminding her of her little time left. If she would not produce an heir of her own, the kingdom would forever be without a proper ruler if she had any say. Which she does.

Slipping into the hot water, Mira floated on her back admiring the birds that flitted above her head in the tall room. "I will be the queen of this realm; and a stupid child will not get in my way." she cooed. Lifting her aged hand to view, a single sapphire ring perched on her middle finger casting blue fractals throughout the chamber identical to her champion's. "And you will not fail me Ms. Lawrence."