Chapter Twenty Eight: Prom Night

Past Gwen's POV:

The school had an end of year party, like the year eleven prom but one in year ten instead, I presumed it was because they wanted to copy the American culture of a party for each graduation. Or maybe give us one last time to have fun before we entered year eleven and had to settle down with exam time soon approaching. I wasn't sure that I was even going to go. It wasn't that I didn't want to. It was more because the last party I went to was the one that I brought Connor and Greg to.

I recall being so excited to see them, all my friends. Even Jono had asked what I would be going in, and he didn't even understand much about fashion. Jenny had given it me for the year eleven prom the year after but I really didn't have anything else worthy of wearing. There really was something special about that brown gown with the square neckline and ruching down one side. That and having already seen Connor's reaction to it made it just that more special.

Shanice's mother had said that she was happy to pick me up so that I, Shanice and 'Blondie' as Connor called her, could go together. I decided that I wanted Jenny to fix my hair like she did before so I ensured my mother told her to come round an hour before I was supposed to leave, knowing Jenny – she would be immensely early anyway.

"Guinevere! Jenny is here!"

Hearing my mother call me down, I made sure to lift the dress up as I toddled down the staircase. I entered the living room to see her seated, her eyes full with emotion as she met my gaze, "It makes me really happy that you're wearing the dress that I gave you and that you enjoyed my assistance last time enough to have me do your hair again."

"Is it even prom though?" Jenny and I looked over to the doorway, it was Rob – he had just come in after speaking to my mother. Clearly underwhelmed by the whole situation.

I thought for a moment, "Well yes, technically. They are calling it a year ten prom. But-"

He scoffed looking down at his phone, typing, "We didn't have such a thing."

Jenny's voice ushered me to her, as she pulled back my hair, to start applying the makeup, "Well Rob, I didn't even have a prom so think how I felt, they are still a fairly new thing."

He moaned, "Yes Jenny." He looked up from his phone and for a moment just stared at us, on the sofa – my hair brushed back from my face as Jenny recreated the naturalist makeup which she had done on me before. Not a trace of the purple toned red lipstick I was known for.

"Who ugh, who is taking you?" he asked hesitantly.

Waiting for her to pull away from the beauty blender, I answered, "My friend Shanice, her mother is picking me up."

"And after?" he pressed.

"Going to her house for a sleepover."

Before he could reply, my mother asked him to move as she joined us in the front room. He moved from his stance as he stood before my mother, directing his questions to her, "Did you know this?"

She rolled her eyes, "Rob calm down. She is perfectly safe."

He rubbed through his beard, which at this point was fairly patchy from a shaving incident. I could tell why he was hesitant without needing to ask. He was concerned about Travis – if he would be there. I was scared too but there would be teachers so there was nothing that he would be able to do.

"Mother are you seriously just allowing for her to go to this prom without adult supervision?"

My mum leaned back in her seat. There was a knock at the door – she heard it but continued with her answer, "Shanice's mother will be there to make sure no one murders them before they get in. and I have full trust in the women to drive them back to hers without crashing." There was another knock at the door, "Would you kindly get that son?"