Beast Within by Michelle Sticek (guest author)

How do you describe the beast that lives inside of you?  You do it with fear as it devours your soul.  It takes whatever happiness you have and replaces it with fear and anger.  It teaches you to not only hate yourself but to hate others.  The beast is powerful, so powerful that it can release pain onto oneself.  With each cut, or angry outburst, the beast feeds.
     It's hungry, it's always hungry.  "It lives off of my pain and the pain I give to others."  It makes me believe the emotional pain will go away with each gash.  The beast laughs as I cut deeper.
     "Can you kill the beast without killing yourself?"
     Is that what it wants?
     "I yell and try to fight this beast that is destroying me."  It laughs because it knows I am not strong enough to overpower it.
     "Should I keep fighting this beast within?"
     "Should I let go and let the beast win?"
     It tells me to keep people away from me:  "Trust no one.  You will never find true love.  You don't deserve a life of happiness."  The beast yells this daily.
     I am lost and alone.  I am tired of fighting it.
     The beast embraces me for the monster I have become.

©2017 Michelle Sticek