Confrontation

He hated to have to leave her. Especially after all that had happened. He was forced to walk back to...wherever he'd end up. Who knew where he'd end up anymore? He'd dropped Honey off at her apartment, refusing her insistences that he come in. He couldn't take any more of her mothering, any more of her caring for him, any more of her sweet, sympathetic smile and lilting, gentle voice. She was too good for him and he wanted her too much as it was.

She'd been right, though. About him needing her. His bruises had never healed so fast, he'd never been so punctual, he'd never been so good-tempered (surprising as it was). He smiled as he pictured them together, her making sure he ate right and was properly clothed and was happy enough...And all she would do would be what she wanted. He just couldn't imagine her any other way in ten years. The picture scared him suddenly. Honey as his wife? It was almost laughable. Johnny wanting any kind of long term relationship was out of character, to say the least. What had he gotten himself into? Maybe Dan was right. The closer he got, the further away he had to get from that girl.

He'd ended up at the den. Good enough for the night. He slipped inside, not expecting many inside. But they all were. And they were all staring at him. Seeing Dan made Johnny's blood suddenly run cold. He didn't look happy, but Johnny doubted that it was for guilt for scaring a fragile, innocent woman on the street. Something really major was up. He walked in with his shoulders squared.

"What the hell is up with this? What're you all staring at me for?"

"We couldn't find you." someone said.

"I've been out. What's going on?"

"Out where?" Dan asked steadily.

"None of your business. Are you guys going to tell me what's up or not, cause I'm pretty sure that whatever it is more important than where I've been."

"Maybe it isn't. Where have you been Johnny?"

"Are you going to accuse me of something? Because if so, I'd like to get it over with so I can tell them where you've been, Dan. Stalking my girlfriend and then threatening her? She's not from around here, she's got no clue about what's going on so she shouldn't be any of your business!"

"Did she do what I asked her then?"

"Asked her? That's an understatement. Casey knows who she is now, thanks to you, as if you didn't give her enough to be afraid of."

"Casey?"

"Didn't know he was following you, did you? Well apparently he was, because not two blocks from where you met her, Casey met up with her- knew her name and about me and knew that you'd just talked to her. And as for where the hell I've been, I've been with her- a real terror to society, I know, but I figured I'd take the chance. You had no right to talk to her like that! She's never done anything to you. Never done anything to anyone."

"What did Casey say to her?"

"To tell me to play along with your stupid little plan, or else she dies, that's what! If anything happens to her, I swear Dan, I'll-"

"He knows. !*$%. He knows. He must. Why else would he-"

"He doesn't have to know a thing to know you're planning something. You're always planning something, he's not that much of an idiot to think we're just sitting here doing nothing!"

"What else did he say?"

"Nothing. Why would he? He wanted to scare her in order to scare me in order to scare you, you stupid son of a bitch. I don't think it has anything to do with what we're planning. He knows we're up to something, but other than that, he's just clueless. He usually is."