ONE DAY

I walked to the gate.

They stood around a fire. But it was cold. The fire did not reach their eyes nor could it warm their bodies. The towering trees surrounded them. Sheltering them from the harsh glow of the city light. Ice shards clung to the branches of the trees for dear life. The yellow glow shined pale against the snow-covered ground. All their eyes cast down staring into the dancing flames.

They all knew what to say but no one wanted to say it. It would mean that they did indeed fail.

The fire reflected in those cold grey eyes. Her breath visible as she breathed heavily. She shaking but not because of the cold. The department of education was considering allowing some other students to graduate early due to their involvement in the recent events but no one knew if that would happen. So Ash was standing there wondering about what would happen to all of them now. She glanced over to a certain brown-eyed boy who was already looking at her. She smiled timidly but it held no real emotion.

He noticed her absent stare and hollow smile. He was always able to read a room and what he was sensing between their group was detachment. He could feel the fear shifting around. He was afraid. His entire life had been dedicated to the SAFE Age Agency and now he refused to be apart of something that cost him a friend's life. He wasn't necessarily close to Grace but her presence meant something to him. She had this power about her, how she could capture a room with just a look was something he admired. The disbalance was noticeable now that she was gone. The feeling strange and unnatural. He looked over at Yasha who now sported an eye patch.

She stood beside Litch afraid that if she woke up tomorrow he would be gone and none of this was real. It did not feel real. It was all too much. Her lip trembled just thinking about it.

"I think we should start." She said abrasively gaining Beck's attention. "Ash would you like to go first, then we follow alphabetically, she would have like that."

She stared at the fire a moment longer before her imploring gaze penetrated their watchful eyes. "My first impression of her was constantly warping into something I imagined her to be. I didn't allow her to grow out of that bubble I placed her in and even after she popped it she still managed to show me what a wondrously strange being she was. Our personalities clashed sometimes. She was loud, boisterous and wanted the world to see her, she didn't have to try but she did. She was like the ocean, all-encompassing with a vast sense of wonder, and just being in the same room with her was euphoric. She was like a forest, thick at times but she always had that stoic, calming 'know-how' surrounding her. It seems that she floats among the fallen leaves." Her gravelly voice peeked with an inane tone of joy. "She taught me how-to, see the world in a brighter light and not to be so depressing all the time. She had that smile she used to give me. It was one she beamed at people she did not really like but do you know how good it felt when she showed me her genuine smile, after all our time together I finally got to see her. It was like seeing a baby walk for the first time." She sat down resting her elbows on her knees. She welcomed the tears falling down the face and embraced that long-overdue break from suppression. "Beck," She mumbled between a hick-up.

Beck placed his hand on her should squeezing it tightly. His grassy eyes resembled dew drops as he wiped the stray tears away. Nodding once he fisted his pocket and ripped a crumbled piece of paper out. "I-" He paused to clear his shaky voice. "I wanted to start by saying Grace would be sitting on her thrown right now just basking in the glory." His shy smile appeared just thinking of her throwing her head back laughing maniacally at their dismay. "She reminded me of caramel or rather a taffy. Not just because she was sweet but cause she didn't break easily. She lifted my spirits and made me feel like I was the only one in the room when she talked or listened. She knew just what to say. Every look she gave you was calculated and she was always prepared. She could be in a worse situation and she would still ask you if you were alright. She was electrifying and awe-inspiring. I only wished I could've known her a bit longer and I know she would never love me as I love her but I would happy just to be near her. Just to see as one of her friends." His voice drowned in sympathy but it was hard to miss that tremor underneath. He sat down on the log the cold wetness surprising him and sending a shiver down his spine.