twenty-two

"OH CHRIST, Stanley, how do I do this?" Richie asked frantically.

Stan rolled his eyes. "Weird, you've never had a problem asking her anything else."

"Shut up!"

Bill laughed from his corner. "H-he's not wrong."

Richie glared at him, and Eddie came bounding into the room, looking between Stan and Richie.

"Hey guys, what's-" He stopped, and his grin faded the slightest bit. "Oh."

Richie smiled wanly at him. "Heya, Eds. I feel like I'm gonna puke my guts out."

Eddie's own attempt at humor was forced. "Well, don't do it on the couch, Tozier."

The two stared nervously at each other before Eddie looked away, rubbing the back of his neck. "Anyway, I better. . .go."

"Go?" Stan asked, bewildered. "You just got here!"

Eddie shrugged. "Yeah, well. . ."

He didn't finish, waving half-heartedly at Richie. "Uh, good luck, I guess."

Richie nodded at him. "Thanks."

Eddie hesitated, licking his lips as if he wanted to say something before he turned and headed back out the apartment door, the door shutting softly behind him.

Stan looked at the door for a few seconds before turning to Richie. "What the hell was that all about?"

But Richie's thoughts were flurried, and something was curling up his insides as he realized he couldn't bear it if his best friend walked away from this.

Without answering Stan, he headed towards the apartment door, thrusting it open and slamming it behind him with a bang before thundering down the stairs, making it to the almost deserted street in front of the apartment building.

"Eds!" He shouted, seeing Eddie's white converse and shorts retreating away. "Hey, Wheezy!"

Eddie turned, and let out a huge whoosh of air escape his lips as Richie sauntered up to him, his eyes crackling with a mischievous air.

Before Eddie could think, Richie had swooped down upon him and planted a kiss on his nose. "Hey cutie, where ya going?"

Eddie's cheeks turned bright red as their eyes met, and then together they burst out laughing as Richie slung an arm around his shoulder, giving him another kiss on the top of the head.

"Come on, you really thought you'd get away that easy?" Richie asked, pushing him away as Eddie shook out his hair.

"I thought for a second- you were going to let me." Eddie admitted honestly, and Richie shook his head.

"Leave my baby? Nah." He grinned, and Eddie returned it before venturing, "So. . .today's the day, Romeo."

Richie groaned. "Gah Eds, don't talk about it. Jesus Christ, I'm not cut out for this shit."

"Hey," Eddie said. "Dude, don't do the spasm shit. You are going to nail this. Okay? You know you are."

Richie sucked in deep, shuddery breaths and breathed out. "Okay. I'm calmer and totally not shitting myself. It's fine."

He checked his watch, and cursed. "Fuck! I'm supposed to be there in 10 minutes!"

He kissed Eddie on the cheek. "Thanks for everything, Eds. Really."

He gave him a meaningful look, and Eddie nodded. "When have I ever let you down, Rich?"

He winked, and gave him a soft thump on the back. "Now go get her, Tozier."