Chapter 2

When the final bell tolled, ending the last of our morning classes. I emerged from my classroom with the most monotone teacher in the school. His energy levels were enough to sap away any form of childhood wonderment that I could've had. It was the worst possible time to have the class since I now had to entertain the English teachers. They were strict beyond belief, without a single funny bone in their body, and took the art of theatre way too seriously. Sulking as I made my way to the gymnasium. My head hung low as I pushed the handle of the swinging door and walked into the room. On the other side, I was greeted by the different grade's English teachers as well as my own. It was like walking into a Shakespearean fan convention. From my initial observation, it seemed like the English department was giddy with excitement for what was soon to come.

Following the rest of the herd, I approached a desk where a collective group of my peers stood, and each signed their names for the different parts listed. Picking a top three, I marked myself down for two supporting roles, one of them being a female character, just for the hell of it. I didn't expect it to ever come to that or even be any good at playing a woman character if it actually came to fruition. As we all finished up, we were put into another line; one by one, we went up onto the stage, standing in front of everyone else. Being the shy outcast type, I found myself at the back of the line, hoping that no one would see the outcome of my performance.

One after another, students went up. They performed the lines for the biased judges, who were already pre-selecting individuals for the show. Making sure that those from the popular cliques got leading roles so that it would generate more attention to the performance. However, when it was inevitably my turn to take centre stage in front of the teachers and thankfully only the teachers. A wave of relaxation hit me upon this realization. In a way, it felt like I was in my element and that it was now or never.

"Alright, Drew, so looking at the sheet here. It seems like your first and second options have both been taken already. However, the southern belle role you put for option three is still available." The lead teacher exclaimed.

"Wait, but how can you cast the others prior to seeing everyone else perform?" I asked while already knowing the answer.

"We're just doing what's best for business. Anyway, don't worry about that; just worry about your performance." Ms. Reine answered this time as I tried to continue pleading my case.

"But that's-"

"Drew, you will be auditioning for the southern belle role, and that's final. I'm sorry you should have gotten here sooner." The lead teacher remarked, and I'd rather be anywhere than here.

Letting out a reluctant sigh, knowing that I couldn't beat the corrupted system that the teachers had in play at the school. The truth was, and what everybody knew as fact, was that the plays were a cash grab to mitigate the financial strain that the school acquired throughout the year. Due to that, it was now or never as I stepped up and took the script, flipping through the pages until I made it to the one singular line I was meant to say. I continued to the end of the script to be sure but found nothing else highlighted for me.

"So just the one line?" I asked as the teachers nodded.

"That's it. Pretty simple, eh?" They joked, and I wasn't sure if I was happy or disparaged that I didn't have a bigger part.

I think I can handle this. I told myself to psyche up my nerves. Clearing my throat, I felt the inner performer awaken within me. Taking a minute to memorize the line, I developed the character using all the cliche imagery I had of southern belles. All of that knowledge came from TV shows and video games, but it was enough to resonate with my mind.