Prologue.

"My tears are always frozen
I can see the air I breathe
But my fingers painting pictures
On the glass in front of me
Lay me by the frozen river
Where the boats have passed me by
All I need is to remember
How it was to feel alive"  

-AURORA, Winter Bird 

"It's a long story." 

He wouldn't look at me. Roman Anderson- the boy I had loved. Past tense. The only feeling I possessed for him right now was hate. A burning emotion that left a bitter taste in my mouth. 

"You let me think, no you led me to think, that you were dead. For a whole year. I have time." I noted coldly, willing him to swallow his feckless cowardice and for God's sake look at me. 

When he did, I forced myself to meet his steady gaze. His expression was fathomless; a stark contrast to the way he used to wear his heart readily on his sleeve. I stared back, unwilling to look away. 

"It's complicated."

It felt like I didn't know this boy who stood before me. Though, he was no longer a boy. 17 when he left, and now 18- an adult, legally. Yet it seemed like he had aged an eternity. 

"If you aren't going to explain yourself, then why did you come back?" I demanded coldly, narrowing my eyes in annoyance at his flippancy.

"I didn't say I wasn't going to explain myself." Roman said quietly, "I was just stating the facts. It's a long story, and it's complicated."

"Then you better begin."