Prologue

It was midnight now.
The stars lighting up the night sky.

I had been traveling since dawn, with my baby girl strapped tightly on my back. I can see the village from where I stand on the mountains tops. I'm nearly there.

I take a deep breath before I continue my trek, holding out my torch to light my way. By the time I get down the mountain side, I'm tired and freezing cold. The village only a few steps away from my sight.

The village was laid out in a circle with a large bonfire blazing in the center of the square, to keep the cold winds out. One of these cottages is the one I'm looking for. It couldn't be that difficult to find since it wasn't a big village. I start wandering around between the cottages for a while. Everything looked the same to me.

"Blah Ga Goo!" Mishu giggled.

I can feel Mishu squirm in her carrier. Mishu pointed towards a cottage that I hadn't noticed before. As I walk closer, I can see that the cottage has wood planks covering every single window in the house. It was strange yet I knew this was the house.

I knock on the door. After no one answers I Knock again. It took a couple of knocks but the door finally cracked open. An elderly man with a small white goatee appeared in the doorway. My father.

I can see my father shocked and puzzled on his wrinkled face. And I don't blame him for it. I've been on the run from the hunters ever since I gave birth to Mishu, leaving my father behind for his safety.

"Moani what are you doing here?"

His voice was rustier than I had remembered it. Without hesitation, I give him a big warm hug. This would probably be the last time I see my father and not for a good occasion.

My eyes begin to water. This wasn't the way I wanted it. I pull the basket off my back with Mishu inside and hand it to my father. We both knew what was happening.

"What did you do to the hunters?" He asked in fear.

By now I'm crying harder than before. My father hugs me once more to comfort me. We stand there for a moment in the cold embracing each other with love. I finally manage to calm down.

I give my father a kiss on the cheek. I kneel down on the floor and stare at Mishu's bright eyes as she looks up innocently at me.

"Goodbye Mishu." I whisper, "But this is for your own safety from the hunters."

I give her one last hug and kiss before heading on my way. The village shrinks behind me the farther I travel up the mountain again. I wipe away my remaining tears and won't look back.

A greater adventure lies ahead.