Chapter 2

They were running out of time.

The horns were growing louder for every second they stood their. Without warning her, Ty pushed her up the nearest tree that wasn't chopped down.
The two managed to make it up the tree just in time.

Mishu saw a group of large hooded people emerge through the trees, knocking down anything that stood in their way. Each one taller than the next. Hunters.

Hunters were ice age travelers who had been wanting to rule the north for a long time. If anybody dared to stand in their way, they would kill them on the spot. Or so Mishu and Ty had heard.

The army was lead by a large man dressed in a long dark fur coat. His hair was hidden under a tall fur hat while a goatee hung from his chin.

"This is her village. I know it."

The leader growled. Mishu could feel Ty shaking next to her. She didn't know if it was from being scared or the cold.

"Should I give the order of attack Khali?"

One of the men asked. Before the leader could respond, Mishu misplaced her foot on one of the branches, causing a branch to fall on the ground.

Mishu saw all eyes gaze up at the tree. Her insides quickly tensed up. She looked at Ty who now had fear in his eyes. Mishu could feel her heart begin to race. She totally messed this one up.

Mishu could hear the loud footsteps of Khali coming towards the tree. He picked up the branch that fell and licked it. Mishu held her breath. There was silence.

"I know there's somebody up there. Nobody hides from Khali."

This was it. The last time the village would hear from Mishu and Ty. To their surprise, the leader set the branch down and stomped back to his horse.
The leader took a deep breath of the icy air and raised his hand high into the air. Mishu could hear the sounds of grunting men climbing on to their horses. The two watched as the hunters rode off into the forest.

"That was way to close. We need to warn the village about this." Ty heaved.

Ty quickly climbed down the tree before helping Mishu down. She couldn't believe what she had just witnessed. A hunter right in front of her eyes.

"That's odd. They knew we were there but they didn't do anything about it?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean should have been dead by now. Nobody survives against the hunters. But we did."

"You do know that no one will believe us if we tell them we saw the hunters. Right?" He sighed. "Oh and don't tell anybody I was out there."

Ty began to walk back towards the village. He obviously didn't want anything to do with this. She couldn't believe it. Mishu didn't care about him anyways. She quickly ran after him. Just being alone in these woods scare her now.

The two ran all the way back home without stopping. Mishu was afraid the hunters might have gotten to the village first. To her relief, the houses and villagers were untouched. Thank goodness.

Mishu followed Ty towards the bonfire in the middle of the village. Everyone must have known something was wrong because nothing ever exciting happens in the village. The men, women, children, and seniors began to follow the two towards the bonfire. Lots of whispers and eye sidings with one another.

"What's going on children?"

"Is everything ok?"

"What were they doing in the woods?"

People asked. They might have wanted to think these question through. What would they say? "We saw the hunters after they had disappeared for 16 years. We're going to die." Maybe Ty was right. Nobody was going to believe them.