Chapter 7: Entranced in a Moment

Recap:
And just like that, Christian and his boys were gone. All it took was one sentence. His eyes became glossy as he unclenched his shaking hands. Virgil was practically known for playing it safe, yet there he was, choosing to stand up for himself.
In the past few hours alone, he had never put himself out on the line more, and it was all because of Roman.

Roman, who had somehow dug right into him and found things he didn't think he had in himself. Roman, who makes him feel the most at home he's ever felt. Roman, who makes him smile by keeping him in his thoughts. Roman, the goofball with perfect hair and shiny eyes.

Roman, the boy he felt himself falling in love with.

Tears had run down Virgil's cheeks when a hand reached out to his shoulder. He turned around, and there Roman was, the boy who kept him together. He quickly wiped his cheeks as he was pulled into a tight embrace.

He felt himself smile as he wrapped his arms around the other. Things were changing, and for the first time, Virgil was okay with that.

---

Roman held Virgil tightly in his arms as the sun set behind them. The park was emptying out around them, the day winding down like the people were.

Roman felt protective over Virgil, he could feel him shake in his arms. It was quite obvious these boys have harassed him before, and it was clear that he didn't often speak up like that. Roman wanted to be there for him, and wanted to protect him even as he protected himself.

"Are you okay?" He asked, his mouth close to Virgil's ear. It sent a shiver down his spine to hear Roman's voice so close and so quiet.

"I'm fine, yeah... " Virgil started, "I'm sorry, I dont usually... uh... do that..." he stuttered. The reality of the situation was kicking in again, and being so close to Roman made him increasingly nervous.

He gently pulled away from him, tear stains on his cheeks from the few that had slipped out of shock. Hesitantly, Roman reached over and brushed them away with his thumbs, both of them suddenly looking into each other's eyes. Neither of them said anything for a while, Roman's hands lingering on Virgil's face.

Roman noticed and hastily put his hands back in his jacket pockets, looking away. Virgil's cheeks flushed as he realized what happened, but managed to chuckle, breaking the tension. Roman cracked a smile as his chuckle turned into a laugh, "What's so funny?"

"Everything!" He exclaimed. He was gleaming, "I never thought I'd ever be able to do that if I'm being honest... but I did, and I only did it because... you were there." He said truthfully, feeling overjoyed enough to admit it.

"Me? How did I help? I just sat and watched!" Roman said, his smile growing.
"Okay- yeah, but that's not the point. There's... something about you... that makes me so confident but so nervous at the same time. And its you who's made me into a more... spontanious person. I don't know... but you've got an energy to you that I'm fucking addicted to." Virgil answered, laughing.

Roman was shocked. Glad, but shocked. The idea that Virgil could now feel so free around him when he was quiet and shy just a few days ago made his heart beyond happy. And soon enough, he began to laugh too. It really was funny, he never realized how much he needed someone like Virgil in his life until he crashed into it.

"Yeah well you've made me happier than I've ever been in all the years I've been alive, because you actually make me feel like I'm living. And you keep me on my toes because of how unpredictable you are. I'm already so attached to you after like, what, a week?" Roman asked, smiling, "I'm pathetic." He said, laughing at the whole situation he'd found himself in.

"It's okay." Virgil said, looking up at him, "I'm just as pathetic." He said. Roman smiled at him, taking in his beauty. His heart was beating a mile a minute as his hands worked for him.

They reached out and brought Virgil's face close to his own. "May I?" He asked. Virgil smiled a small smile, "I love how you actually asked me. Yes, you can." He said, with no hesitation.

Roman leaned in and kissed him. It was soft, gentle, as if afraid of shattering. When they pulled away, Virgil just looked at him for a moment, eyes wide. He had never experienced anything like it. He never really felt loved before, but all of a sudden... he did. He silently wondered if everyone got to feel it all the time.

Roman smiled sweetly at Virgil, "I don't think you understand how happy I am to have found you." He said, "V.S.. The initials I used to stare at for hours up in the tree, daydreamimg about who you could ever be. You've become what I couldn't even dream of having." He said, his hands still holding Virgil's face.

Virgil grinned a bit, wrapping his arms around Roman's sides, "You're way too nice and sweet and brave to exist." He said, laughing softly,"This is way too cheesy." He said, making Roman laugh too. Virgil rested his head on Roman's shoulder as they continued to laugh.

All around them, street lamps lit up, night taking hold. It was a peaceful night; no souls to be seen around them. The park's pond glistened under the light of the stars that had  revealed themselves; and all that could be heard in the silence of the dark were two boys laughing at each other, making the night seem just a little bit brighter.