New Chair(s)

There were many amazing advancements and innovations evolved from and made possible by the NEAT, including progress in criminal justice and law enforcement.

One remarkable highlight was the resurgence in popularity and use of the centuries old electric chair.
The legendary electric chair, a means of inflicting capital punishment, death for the tragically condemned.
It was first conceived in 1881 by a dentist in New York, named Al Southwick.
It was meant to be a humane alternative to hanging.
It was first used in 1890 on a psycho that killed his wife with a hatchet.
It took 8 minutes. It was sloppy. New ground was being broken so to say.
The poor freaks' blood vessels exploded all over his sizzling body, as his was basically fried in his own blood.

Oh well.

As J. Robert Oppenheimer was heralded as father of the atomic bomb, a legend of the distant past, a giant of the nuclear era, so was Alfred P. Southwick, a historic hero of the NEAT.
Many governments nowadays had bronze busts of Mr. Southwick adorning there halls of power.
Most countries on Earth now had Capital punishment, countries that didn't were mostly marginalised  in the international community.
During previous liberal eras the death penalty was thwarted on religious, justice, ethical and or morale grounds.
A lot of things had changed on Earth in the past few hundred years.
Ethics and morality, indications of human compassion and understanding, high on the top of Maslow's mythical hierarchy of needs, were buried under the black supercharged earth. These long lost bastions of hope and optimism dashed against the rocks of a self absorbed, self-fucking, maddening crowd.
The NEAT was an era where man had given up on God.
The abandonment of God seemed the most logical, practical and natural choice.

There was even a historic vote.
A referendum.
A futuristic result.
The day became a holiday.

Man had finally come to his senses and let the crutch, the excuse, the tradition, the faith, the magic, go.
Man simply evolved into a godless state due to the obvious lack of god's material presence. Faith was a hopeful ghost that never really showed up, a legendary wish that never came true.
God was on the fringe of daily life now, gradually forgotten, lost in the ether of never possibilities.
Good riddance, many thought, including the Landlord.

Objective Mother Nature, her children tossed about by her blessings and misfortune was god now.
Chaos and it's unpredictable vortex lay at the end of a technicolor rainbow.
As far as justice was concerned, some mistakes, miscarriages were made in the past, true. Unfortunate.
But now this new technological future all but erased forensic mistakes, DNA errors, clumsy miscarriages of justice.
The NEAT considered itself a just institution.
Capital punishment in NEAT countries, including the UK, was considered a logical and practical form of population control.
Righteous, Earl grey drinking, school mum, society, felt that due to the danger posed by a gradually building overpopulation, those that polluted society for whatever reason and or excuse were a detriment and should be summarily eliminated, executed. As soon as possible. With extreme prejudice.
There's was literally no room, or patience left for social failure, social distortion.

Without a god to insist we're special, humans had no mysterious, unconditional religious protection or some invisible power that made them think they were more valuable, more important than say a worm.
Humans were just bigger and smarter than worms.
That's why humans were in charge.
Not because of some mystical, invisible, one way relationship with God.
Capital punishment became a replacement for a vengeful god that never seemed to kill the right people in this advanced age of the enlightenment.

The New Chair was a just god.
A dark god.
A veracious god.
A well fed god.
A god driven by the will of a surgically clean, idol-less, utilitarian and fundamentally ruthless society. Surgically clean yet somehow filthy.
However, society cleansed itself with no mercy.
Over the recent decades, hundreds of thousands were removed from the Earth, and put back in it.
The number one device for the task?
The New Chair.
The New Chair became a global phenomenon.
The New Chair was a technical masterpiece. A wonder.
An actual piece of real art.
Art that you could use.
It won ergonomic awards, human factors awards.
It was a universal fit.
It was made of a  gently brushed titanium/magnesium alloy.
The New Chair was usually housed in a sound proof room.
The magnesium was impregnated with the newly developed, powerful, quantum 'SuperWatt', granular, Uranium safe electrodes.
The electrodes, like sand, were poured into the condensed liquid alloy mold.