Milkshakes and issues

I try to forget what happened a few hours go by walking from school to my all-time favorite diner, Lou's. Lou's has always been that place that I know I can go whenever I want to clear my head and have BOMB milkshakes. 

- Hey, little bird! - says a familiar manly rough voice. 

Mr. Stevenson always greets me with a bumpy smile. He is sort of my uncle and he was my mom's best friend. They knew each other since they were little and they never parted ways until my mom died, so, it was obvious that I would eventually meet him. However, it's kind of scary but interesting how close we got, so fast. After mom's death, he became an even more important person im my life. He was the only adult I could talk freely with.

 A 17-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man getting along... For most people, our relationship is weird and creepy, and Mr. Stevenson even has been called a pedophile sometimes, which saddens me, because he is absolutely harmful, a goof ball. Of course, sometimes he has to play the role of the strict adult, who imposes the annoying rules "all teens must follow" (according to him), but other than that, he's just a cool guy.

- Hi Steves! Can I get the strawb...

- Strawberry and dark chocolate milkshake with extra whipped cream? Damn, you must have something big on your mind. Gimme two minutes, birdie.

I draw a light smile and sit on the same table I always go when the diner is nearly empty. 'He really knows me, haha', I think to myself while I play with my messy ponytail. He has been calling me "birdie" since I can remember. My mom told me that he thought I had a vibrant and airy vibe, that reminded him of a bird, so the nickname lasted.

He comes back quickly and brings with him two milkshakes, mine and his usual, mint and cinnamon, a combination that I find repulsing but, somehow, he loves it.

- What's the deal, birdie? The math teacher gave you too much work? - he says, clearly mocking me.

- Ha ha, really funny Steves...

- C'mon, now for real, what's up?

- It's just this guy who has been bugging me all day, even though I barely know him! It's so frustrating, because he's new in school but he seems so rude! And I can't stand rude people, but on the other hand, he might just be afraid, because it's his first day in a new environment, and... UGH.

I look up to see a mesmerized face looking at me like I just said I was an alien.

- Birdie, you need to calm down, first of all. - Steven says.

I take a deep breath.

- Second, I think you just need to not care too much. Just see what he does when you don't try to understand him. I'm feeling you this because I know you and I know that as soon as you meet a person, you instantly try to understand how she's like, and when you can't, you get annoyed.

Holy cheeses, this is accurate.

- Just take it easy and be your normal self... except that annoying part. - he advises, grinning jokingly.

- Yeah, you're probably right. - I admit, sipping the last bit of the delicious milkshake. - Let's see what happens tommorow.