Ch 1 - "A lady must always be flawless!"

-Avery darling , come downstairs right. I have a surprise for you!

-I am coming mom. What is it?

-Well the surprise is that we are going to the ball organized by the DeWitts. It is going to be fabulous and we need to dress ourselves up. So in one hour we are going to buy a lovey dress.

-Ok mom… if you say so.

I hate when everyone tries to be so fancy and so formal. What’s the big deal here? Why can’t we be ourselves? Well, I guess many people have wondered but have never asked.

The DeWitt family is as big as ours , as strong and as wealthy. We have been friends since ever . My dad, Hamilton and mr. Blake always go together hunting, and my mother, Rose, and ms. Elouise chat all day long. I have always been in the center of every party. Oh and I bet every girl in this town is jealous.

Those two families, being the most influent in the whole county, I guess there is not much to say about our town at all. There are some other families, but I can never remember how they are called.

-Avery. We must go right now!

-What?! Oh , fine mom, I am coming in a second.

-Never forget. A lady must always be in time at meetings.

-A lady , but why this doesn’t apply to men too? I shouted.

-Don’t be rude young woman. Now move faster or you will not be going to any ball.

My mother most likely will be the woman that is always perfect. I swear sometimes I think that even if you woke her up at 3 a.m. she will be looking like a lady. She is very strict , but she always taught us good things .

As I came down the stairs , I saw that a carriage was already waiting for us. I rushed through our court and hopped right in.

-Avery? Since when do you get in a carriage like this? Get out right now and enter like a proper lady. I think that you don’t want your father to know this don’t you?

- No mother, I don’t. I am sorry.

- Well that is better. Now, mister, we want to get to Amilsley road. But please, hurry a bit as we are late.

-No problem ma'am. We’ll be there in no time.

This is one of the moments when I say to myself that I am so lucky for being born in a rich family.

The carrier's bench is made of silk, and the doors are made of silver. Everybody thinks this is too expensive and excentric , but my father always says “The more expensive, the better.”. We never say anything. He rules the villa in which we are staying. He is more harsh because he has some irish ancestors. He came to England 20 years ago , and from an ordinary men that was willing to become rich,he actually became “someone” in this town. The time flew like a breeze of air and we arrived to the tailor’s . The tailor is an old, very sociable woman. All the town likes her. And she is quite talented at making dresses too.

-Oh darling,today you look gorgeous. As always I must say. And you Avery… you are growing into a lovely young lady. Now ,girls, with what can I help you?

-Oh yes, well we need two dresses for the ball organized by the DeWitts. I heard it is going to be the biggest ball organized by them, and of course we can’t go there dressed up with anything.

-Now Avery, what do you want the dress to be like? And which colour would you fancy ?

-Uhm, I guess I would want a…

-Darling , you have never worn a pink dress. You have to wear it now , as pink is very popular now between the girls your age.

-Ok mother. So , I guess, I want a pink dress. I want it quite formal , just like the one Katherine had once. But seriously, why do  we struggle so hard to  look so good? I mean …

- I raised you the best as I could and I won’t let you ask me some stupid questions.Now always remember : a lady must always be flawless.And I want  a lovely golden dress with many , many ornamentations on it and I would like a patern with golden stripes and …

-Wow Rose. I have heard that the ball is in two days, and I can’t do so many things in only one day. I think this would be enough, as if it would be any fancier than this it would look funny.

-Well , then our dresses should look like we have told you. Oh and I know you can make them in no time…you are the best tailor in town, aren’t you?

After my mother polished the apple enough for today we came out in a hurry and went straight home. We didn’t realize how fast the time went by and that it was dinner time. My father is very strict about these little details in our family , and gets really mad if we don’t get in time. Fortunately for us , the ball was a good reason  to come late to the dinner. We didn’t do anything in that evening , but to talk about the DeWitts , the ball and how my mother and father wanted to organize a bigger one. As always. After they had finished their conversation we were allowed to go to our rooms. I loved balls , but I was not quite into the Dewitts. I always thought that they were pretty sarcastic and ironic when talking about our family , but I guess I am the only one that feels that.