6

❝  We must accept the end of something in order to begin to build something new

❝  We must accept the end of something in order to begin to build something new. ❞ 

~Anonymous

***

It had been a week now since Rairikar's had visited Anika's house. Sunita and Suresh were becoming more and more tense with every passing minute because they were hoping an immediate call from the Rairikar's. On the other hand, Anika had neutral feelings, she was neither happy nor sad about it. Usual jolly Anika started becoming more and more quiet with each passing day. Vidhi used to call her daily and tried cheering her up. She even used to tease Anika saying, "Poor Nirav, I pity that guy. You surely must have threatened him and that's why he didn't call back!"

 It was a bright Monday morning. The entire family was having breakfast when the landline started ringing. Suresh stood up and received the phone call. He was inaudible from the dining table but his expressions surely told Anika that he was very happy. After almost 10 minutes which felt like ages for other family members, he returned back to the table with a wide grin spread across his face. 

"Guess what? It was Vijay's call. He first apologized for the delay to call, actually, they were busy traveling, they went back to Bangalore. And he said....", he said and paused trying to judge everyone's expressions.

"And he said what Suresh?", Sunita asked in a tensed tone.

"And he said that there is an auspicious day almost after one and the half month and that we can arrange the wedding on that day. Plus, he also specially mentioned that Nirav wants the wedding to be very simple, he doesn't like showing off.", he answered clearing Sunita's tension.

"ONE AND THE HALF MONTH?!", Sunita almost screamed. "Isn't it too early? How are we going to arrange everything so fast? All the invitations, decorations, my God!"

"Sunita, Sunita! Calm down. Everything will be done on time and properly. Don't worry! And Anika, are you okay with this? I know we are coming in the way of you and your dream and you won't understand our feelings now. You will understand it when you yourself will be a parent one day. We are very sorry, but we are doing this for your own good.", Suresh said.

Anika just nodded on this being unsure about what to say.

"Also, check with your company if they can transfer you to Bangalore from here, or else you will have to resign. And its the rule in companies that you have to give the resignation letter one month prior, so its better you hurry up.", he further added.

"But dad, my company doesn't have any branch in Bangalore. Plus its really good job. I really don't want to resign.", Anika pleaded.

"Dear, you won't ever require a job there. Nirav earns really good.", he answered.

"Dad, not everyone works only for money.", Anish interrupted but immediately shut his mouth on seeing his father's expression.

"So what I was saying... Anika, do give your resignation letter as soon as possible.", Suresh declared and continued his breakfast.

Later that day, while Anika was busy working on her laptop in her office, her phone buzzed flashing an unknown number

Later that day, while Anika was busy working on her laptop in her office, her phone buzzed flashing an unknown number. She immediately received it and was kind of surprised to know that the person on the other side was no one, but Nirav.

"Hello, beautiful lady! I hope you are not busy?", he said.

"Unfortunately, I am busy. You know, I am busy typing my resignation letter!", she said angrily. 

"Oops. You are so not in a good mood. I am really..."

He was cut off by Anika who was still very irritated, "Oh please! Now stop being apologetic."

"Anika, listen to me please, will you?", he said politely and softly.

"Okay", was all she replied.

"I am really feeling very bad for you because you have to give up your dream, your job just for me. But trust me, I'll try my best to always keep you happy. If my parents would have been very open-minded, I would have even allowed you to go abroad and complete your dream and till then I would have waited here in India for you to come back. But unfortunately, even though we live in a big city, we have everything we want, my parents are still very orthodox. I tried asking them if they were okay with you studying abroad even after our marriage, but they said no. And we have to respect our elders' decision, right?", he said.

Anika was spellbound. 

"Right. And I am sorry I am kind of frustrated and removed all my frustration on you. But I will need time to overcome everything. Hope you understand.", she said.

"Sure. No problem. Take your own time. I just want to see you happy. That's it. Is it okay if I call you occasionally so that we can know each other? And I believe that any relationship becomes strong if it is started with a good friendship.", he asked.

"Yes, it is okay. You can call.", she replied with a smile.

A small smile crept on Nirav's face too. He had realized that Anika was a hard nut to crack. He was not sure how to make her happy. He was trying his best to break the walls she had built around herself and getting to know more and more about her.