Horror on Main St.

Prologue

____________________________________

        "Now then, talk."

        I felt Celia's hand grow limp; there was only a matter of seconds before they were going to grow tired of my stalling. I had to pull something out of my ass before more innocent people ended up dead. That was the last thing I wanted to see. Celia shouldn't die because of me. No one should.

        "Okay...I'll tell you."

        The gun's cold tip pressed against my collarbone sharply. Swallowing quickly, I put my hands in my pockets, and let the seconds tick by. The zombie grunted, and shone the iridescent light into my face, blinding me by its glare.

        "Goddamn it! You have a minute, or else I'll blow her fucking brains out!"

        "Alright." I muttered, not meeting the light.

        "Now!" He snarled, cocking the gun at Celia.

        She whimpered, and held onto my arm tightly. I froze, quickly thinking about my options.

        "Bitch! You have less than thirty sec-"

          He was cut off abruptly, leaving me a chance to run and leave this God-forsaken hell. Something latched onto my wrist, making me stop in my tracks. I turned, and saw that Adrian was holding on, his face bloodied and bruised.

        "Don't leave."

        "I have to."

        He winced, and came closer, his emerald eyes blazing like jewels.

        "I'll come with you. I'm not leaving you."

        I looked down at the filthy floor, and contemplated on whether or not it was a good idea. Finding my brother and father were the most important people to me, and I would do everything in my power to ensure that they were alive, and safe.

        "Rhi, please."

        Adrian lifted my chin, and wiped the wetness from my eyes that hadn't been there earlier. Biting my lip, I felt conflicted, which didn't make this choice any easier. I was the only one left to protect them; why would I not at least attempt to fight this situation we were all in? There had to be a way out; a way to conquer the demons manifesting themselves on us.

        " Fine."

        He took my hand, and we ran to the end of the hallway, unsure of what to expect from the decision I had made. I couldn't turn my back on him. On them. There was so much to lose, and so little to gain.

        We needed ammo, supplies, and at least two more people to join us. It was too late to be looking in the holding cell; everyone there was probably dead, or being tortured to death. My mind went to Celia. Where she had gone, I didn't know, but I was hoping that she had gotten somewhere remotely safe.

        "Do you know where we're going?"

        "No, but I have an idea."

        Hiding in the shrubs, we waited for a bus to pass, so we could make our next move.

        The lives we had once lived were now gone. Families struggled to maintaince their sanity; the walking dead were taking their victims into the deepest parts of hell. No one was safe from the torture and gore they carried in their lifeless eyes.

        Adrian's hand held tightly onto my arm, releasing me of my thoughts.

        "Here's one," He whispered, while the sound of a bus stopping made me turn to look.

        Sure enough, an ancient bus stopped in front of the Stadium. Squatting, I saw frightened people jump out of the bus, their fates unknown for the time being. A string of profanities hit me as I saw elderly people and pregnant women get off, their faces showing the amount of anxiety they were going through. Adrian shook his head, and looked into my eyes, trying to figure out what I was thinking. I bored my eyes deep into his, letting him know I was ready for what was coming next.

        Clutching the small Swiss knife I managed to save from the inspection, I exhaled deeply and waited until everyone had gotten off. More blood would be spilled tonight.

        Those motherfuckers wouldn't touch me. I wouldn't let them.

        "Ready?" Adrian asked me, his eyes glowing.

        "Ready." I said, cracking my neck.

        I couldn't, no, I wouldn't let anyone I love die. These zombies were killing us off, but they wouldn't kill the humanity inside of me that was screaming inside.

        With one last breath, we charged towards the bus, and our mission began.