Chapter 5

"So how does it feel knowing you only have one day to spend at home and a ton of catching up to do in the meantime? Not to mention having to deal with all the ladies who will inevitably be asking you for a dance once we get to the great ball."

"I don't suppose you'll be on that list, will you?" Jareth asked slyly.

"Of course not! Why would I want to dance with my best friend who I haven't seen in over a lifetime?" Terra countered, a wry smile on her face.

"How cold of you. What did I ever do to turn you against me?"

The gleeful smile on Terra's face vanished in an instant, replaced by an unreadable expression.

"You left," she said, a strange light burning in her eyes.

It was gone as soon as it came though, and soon her characteristic smile had returned.

Jareth studied her for a second before speaking again, "This from the friend who never even said goodbye to me."

Terrra stuck out her lower lip, "You didn't deserve a goodbye. You can't just spring a 'oh, I'm leaving and never coming back except once every hundred years when the great ball happens' on your best friend without expecting them to be upset! How the heck was I supposed to handle saying goodbye to you after that? I didn't want to look at you let alone talk to you!"

Jareth shook his head in amusement, "You've changed so much."

"You haven't changed at all," Terra harrumphed, crossing her arms sulkily.

The carriage slowed to a halt and Terra and Jareth ducked out into the open courtyard while the crowd cheered and waved.

Terra looked over at Jareth, "No doubt you'll have princely things to tend to."

Jareth nodded, "Yes, but I'll be seeing you at the ball for certain. And I will expect a dance."

He grinned mischievously.

Terra rolled her eyes, "Of course, your highness. I'm not done with you either, you know. I still have questions."

"As do I," Jareth replied, eyeing the blade at her side.

~Time skip~

Terra looked around at her elegant surroundings, remembering the last time she had set foot in that crystal-lit room. That had been a dark day for her, but from it she had grown strong and taken control of her life. She had learned to grow comfortable with her court life; she was now a graceful dancer, a good conversationalist, and a well-mannered courtier. Although she still chose to spend the majority of her time away from people and admire the scenery she had loved as a child. She still had a rebel attitude, wearing her armour and steel even when she was within the safe confines of the court. When people asked her about it she would simply say, "Well, you never know what could happen." People saw her as a thrill-seeker. Maybe she was; she had certainly found it thrilling when she had taken up fencing lessons so many years ago. Another exciting hobby she had taken up was climbing the castle walls. Needless to say, not too many people had been impressed when they first saw her doing it. Somehow, they had managed to grow accustomed to it over the years. Terra didn't plan on giving it up any time soon either; the views from the palace spires were stunning. Terra had also done a bit of travelling through the wild lands, though she had never encountered anything of too much interest. She could be stubborn and arrogant and selfish when she wanted, quick to speak out of anger. It had earned her the nickname 'two-face' at one point, but the names had eventually worn off after time. For many courtiers, her antics were now just a part of everyday life.