Yu-Gi-Oh: What If? (alternate version)

The Pharaoh was lost in thought, worrying about the outcome of the duel between him and his opponent, Raphael. So far, Yami had failed to overcome the obstacles his opponent had set for him. He didn't know what else to do to win the duel... unless...

No, he couldn't. He wouldn't dare use that card, but the stone wrapped around his neck, as well as the very card staring at him, was convincing him to take the chance. To make him the victor in order to keep his title as 'The King of Games'.

"I'm out of options," the Pharaoh thought. "There's only one card in my hand that can free my dragon, so I can win the duel." The card was right there, staring at him, waiting for him, coaxing him to do what he must in order to win.

The voice of the card was playing in Yami's mind, like an image of a tiny demon appearing on his right shoulder. "What are you waiting for, Pharaoh? Do it, use my power to help you win this duel and defeat Raphael. I can save your dragon, help you win and take your opponent out... for good."

Yami's eyes widened at the sudden thought. The urge to play that card was strong, but not yet strong enough to make him use the card's incredible but dangerous power to help him out.

"I can make you unstoppable, powerful beyond your wildest dreams. You'll never have to worry about losing the duel. If you win with my power, nothing and no one will ever stand in your way. This is your chance to set things right and it would be such a shame to waste it."

The card was reeling him in, increasing its chance of getting Yami to use its power to avoiding losing the duel. The Pharaoh, trying, but failing, to resist the temptation of using the Seal of Orichalcos, reaches his hand towards the card slowly yet hesitantly.

"I must play the Seal of Orichalcos..." he thought, as his hand finally came into contact with the card. The card's voice hypnotically spoke to him with a (non-existent) wicked smile. "Yes. Yes, Pharaoh. Use my power to defeat him... and DESTROY him."

Just as the King of Games raised his hand, a familiar voice called out to him in a desperate attempt to stop him from making a grave, foolish mistake. "Pharaoh, NO!" Yami's eyes opened to the sound of the voice startling him. He looked up to his right, only to see his other self wrapping his arms tightly around his right arm possessing the evil card in his hands.

"Let go." ordered the Pharaoh. "No," his other self cried, "You don't know what you're doing!" Yugi's tone of voice was filled with worry and desperation. Knowing fully well what the card is capable of, he had no choice but to step in and stop him from using the very power that, when activated, has the ability to take the soul of whomever loses the duel.

"What is he doing?" the malevolent card asked anxiously. "Do something, Pharaoh! Make him see sense." Yami frowned in annoyance and harshly raised his voice at Yugi. "Let go!"

Yugi shut his eyes tightly, tightening his grip on his other half. "Listen to me," he pleaded in desperation. "This card is affecting your mind!" The voice of card suddenly had an angry and desperate tone to it.

"Don't listen to him! He's just trying to make a coward out of you. He cannot help you win the duel, but I can. I am the only one you can ever trust to save your dragon, make you unstoppable and defeat your opponent. Think about it. Think about the consequences of using me to help you, instead of that fool stopping you from claiming your victory."

With that, Yami was convinced that the Seal's power can save him and not hurt him. "We're going to lose the duel!" Yami bellowed at the top of his lungs. "Can't you see? Trust me! It's the only way, Yugi."

Yugi summoned the courage to speak his mind, rendering Yami unable to move his arm. "NO!" he roared, like a beast intimidating its prey. "It is NOT the only way. DO YOU UNDERSTAND? I CANNOT LET YOU DO THIS! I WON'T LET YOU DO THIS!"