Chapter 15- The Competition

Baekhyun stared at himself in the mirror, breathing in and out slowly as he tried to calm himself. He played with the sticker attached to his shirt, a number printed on it that represented when it was his turn to perform. Looking into his own eyes, a warm smile grew on his face, comforted by a special memory.

"This is for you Grandma."

He was startled a little as the door to the bathroom opened behind him. Quickly grabbing his belongings, Baekhyun started to make his way out of the room, but stopped once he recognized the person who had just entered. Junmyeon was standing behind him, it seemed like he wanted to talk to him.

"Oh, hi." Baekhyun smiled, noticing that Junmyeon's expression was more pleasant than usual.

"Hi." Junmyeon answered, smiling back at him warmly, "I've been looking for you. Sehun really wants to talk to you before you preform."

"...He does?" Baekhyun asked with a slight hitch in his voice, a nervous pound in his heart at hearing Sehun's name.

"Yeah. Here, follow me. I know where he is." Junmyeon waved his hand as he turned around, starting to leave.

"Ok." Baekhyun smiled again, quickly following after Junmyeon. He clutched tightly onto the music sheets in his hands, wondering what Sehun wanted to say to him. He was honestly glad Sehun wanted to talk to him, he knew it would help calm his nerves. Sehun always had a way of making him feel relaxed.

Junmyeon led Baekhyun to another room, opening the door for him so he could step inside. It seemed like a storage room of some kind, and Baekhyun was a little confused as he looked around, not spotting Sehun anywhere. Suddenly he heard the door slam behind him, and Baekhyun abruptly turned his head to see that Junmyeon hadn't come in the room with him. Panicked, Baekhyun rushed to the door to try and open it, but he was too late as he listened to the sound of Junmyeon locking the door.

"What are you doing?!" Baekhyun shouted, relentlessly pulling on the doorknob.

"What do you think?!" Junmyeon shouted back, anger clearly present in his voice, "You'll never understand what Sehun and I go through! I've always been the one who's been there for him, because I'm the only person he can relate to! I won't allow you to take everything from me! Not Sehun, and not this competition either!"

Baekhyun listened helplessly to Junmyeon's footsteps running away, leaving him trapped in the dark storage room. There were no windows, and Baekhyun didn't have his phone on him to contact anyone. He crumpled against the door, a painful feeling growing in his chest at thinking he wouldn't get to perform. He had spent so long practicing, the motivation behind it something much more meaningful than winning.

————————————

Sehun stared down at his ticket, trying to find his seat number. He scooted through the narrow aisle, looking at the numbers labeled on the chairs. Before he could find it however, he suddenly was approached by Chanyeol and Jongin.

"Need something?" Sehun asked, noticing it looked like they had something to say.

"Have you..." Jongin started, reluctance in his voice at having to ask Sehun this question, "...Seen Baekhyun?"

"Baekhyun?" Sehun replied in surprise, "...No I haven't, isn't he suppose to be backstage?"

"Yeah...But we can't find him anywhere." Chanyeol added, clearly distressed, "We thought you might know."

Sehun glanced around the auditorium, his face quickly becoming concerned as well. He could see Baekhyun's parents getting arranged in their seat, a bouquet of flowers in his mother's hands.