Chapter 1

Standing in my room, looking at all the photos on my wall of my family and myself is like a punch to the face. To know they are no longer here feels like it's a massive lie, how can they no longer be here anymore?

What is this life?

How am i meant to go on without them?

I am meant to mourn them and say goodbye in some way but i can't, because i know if i do then they are really gone.

I don't ever want to say goodbye.

I stare at a picture of me and Lexi. My twin. My partner in crime. My best friend. Who was i going to confide in now, Lexi is gone, mum is gone, dad is gone.

I wish mum were here so i could talk to her about losing her and how i miss her, them, so much that it hurts.

Tears well in my eyes as i pick the frame up and gently place it in the midst of my clothes, packed tightly in my poker-dot suitcase. Leaving my home, let alone my hometown is going to be a drastic change in my life. I'm leaving everything behind to go and live in a different city, in a different home with a different family. I don't want a new home, a new family and new friends. I want my family back and everything to be back to the way it was 24 hours ago.

I packed as much clothing as my suitcase could hold, along with personal items and a few photos. I stare at my picture wall, covered in so many memories. Maybe i could come back and get them, i tell myself. If i can handle it, i add.

I zip my suitcase and carry it out to the lounge room where Melissa is waiting.

"Ready?" She asked me. No and i never will be. "Yeah, all set," i tell her instead.

I take one last look around the place before whispering, "Goodbye," and close the door.

***

2 hours later and we're sitting next to each other on a plane ready to set flight to California.

"This is it," i whisper to my self, and we take off, heading into unknown territory.