Chapter 2

Valerie and I lined up outside the dorm rooms along with 28 other cadets. We waited patiently for the next minute and a half until Captain Bennett walked into view and ordered us morning drill. Drill is just a combination of exercises to warm up our muscles. It's not as bad as people make it seem, they're just lazy. Today we ended up doing push-ups, sit-ups, and burpees. It was easier than other days.
After drill we walked down the hall to the simulators. The simulators help us prepare for intergalactic travel. They get us used to the harsh environment of traveling in that way. Without this training, our bodies would never be able to handle the strain and we would instantly die. This is tiresome and a bit boring but, it's important. I was happy when we finally moved on to the combat training. The reason we even have a combat class is in case someone from another country tries to sabotage us. Let me explain, most of the countries are participating in a race, a race to find life in a different galaxy. The reward is 300 million dollars to the country and eternal fame and glory. It's a game that has only one rule, you are not allowed to kill people. If you kill someone from an opposing country, your country is automatically disqualified. Citizens from other countries can come over to our space station and do whatever else they please. They can steal a part, disable someone, hurt someone, or even disable an important machine, basically anything but kill.
• • •
Captain Bennet seems a bit odd today. He's not as chatty and his facial expression is unreadable. I'm starting to worry that somethings wrong but decide that if it was serious enough, he would tell us. Just as we finished combat training, Captain Bennet told us to line up for an important announcement.
I stand next to Valerie as always and whisper, "God, I hope he's not gonna tell us the bathroom isn't working, I really need to go!"
She laughed softly and whispered, "Shut up and face forward, dummy!"
Then, the announcement began.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, it is my duty to inform you that at 2:31 this morning, there was a break in. Our workers checked the doors, and windows, there is no sign whatsoever of a forced entry, which means...there is a traitor among us."