Chapter 2: From Houston to Michigan

"We're MOVING?"

Even after hearing it, I don't believe the words that just came out of my mouth.

"Wh-why? Where? When?" I stutter, in shock.

"Your dad was offered a higher paying job than he has here, and we decided to take it. We're moving in two weeks!" My mom says, a huge smile plastered across her face.

"Where?"

The smile on my mother's face slowly starts to fade. It's only slightly there as she slowly reponds, "Michigan."

I can feel my heart plop into my chest. I'm unable to speak, breathe, or think. I feel like I might die as I manage to choke out, "Michigan? Where in Michigan?"

My mom says, "Grand Rapids," with a bit more of a smile on her face.

"Wh-Michigan. I'm moving to Michigan. How did-why? I don't understand... What about Danielle? How could you guys do this to me? Can I even go swimming in Michigan? Is there even a pool? Or does it show all the time? What do I do for fun? I have no clothes to keep me warm! It's so cold there! Why did you... Why?" I stutter. I'm having a difficult time thinking, as all of the thoughts are suddenly pouring in.

"Honey, calm down. One question at a time. We'll work through this, I promise. You'll make plenty of new friends there, I promise. You'll love your new school, too. You'll find a way to make it past this. You're brother is excited about it, and soon you will be too. You've just got to get used to the idea," she says with a comforting smile, placing her hand on top of mine.

I can't take it. I can barely walk, but somehow I find the energy and strength to carry myself up the stairs in a fury of rage, depression, confusion, and most of all, shock. I've heard enough. As soon as I get into my room, I notice the boxes at the foot of my bed. A voice calls out from downstairs.

"Honey! Start packing your things! We only have two weeks!"

I take another look at the boxes, and feel sick. I lie down on my bed, and cry, until I fall asleep.

----------

"Well, I guess this is it," Danielle says, with a tear in her eye. We're just about to leave, and she came to say goodbye. It's six in the morning, since the drive to Michigan is so long. The last two weeks have gone by in a flurry of packing and crying. And complaining to Danielle.

"Yeah, I guess it is." I say, also nearly crying. How can I leave my best friend like this? She's been with me since second grade. I pull her into a tight hug, and now we're both crying our eyes out, enveloping each other in tears. We stay like that for a couple of minutes, when my mom honks the horn to our car, making us jump. She's impatient in the mornings.

We stop hugging, and wipe our eyes. Our noses are red, and we both look ridiculous. We laugh at each other, but realize that I'm leaving, and the laughter stops short. A sad silence fills the air.

I have to go soon, so I say, "Text me every day and call me any time that you can."

"Of course I will. I'll keep you up-to-date with all the gossip here. It'll be like you never even left," she says, and I smile.

'Goodbye, Danielle."

"Goodbye, Sierra." We hug once more, and rock back and forth, sniffling, but no longer crying. Our tears have run dry.

I pull away from the hug, and walk to the car. I sit in my seat, and roll down the window, waving, as we drive away.

"Tell me all about that boyfriend, too, once you find him!" she yells with a wink.