Heartbroken Wood Floors

"God, you're so annoying when you say shit like that." Alice muttered under her breath.

Roberto eyed her with daggers, feeling agitation as she stormed out of the room. He couldn't understand why she was irritable at times. All he did was imply that she could be of some use around the house. Alice felt that she didn't have time to stop and do whatever she pleased, she was a business woman with a career. Roberto still had a part-time job, which he enjoyed. She never was home and the only times they could be together was at night.

"I didn't mean to offend you, if I did." Roberto said.

Alice rolled her eyes as she aggressively searched through the dresser.

"Okay, Roberto." She sighed.

Roberto flinched at her half-assed acceptance. He rolled his eyes and tried to give her the benefit of the doubt. He tapped his fingers against the doorframe and made his way back into the living room. Taps echoed into Alice's brain as it suddenly hit her that he was upset with her. She sighed and placed the clothes back where she found them. He only tapped his fingers against the doorframe once since they were married, six months ago when they received the worst news that shadowed over them both. Guilt consuming her insides, she walked back to him.

"Don't apologize. I don't need it." Roberto's voice broke midsentence.

"I am though." She rebutted. "I'm not the best at showing it-"

"You don't even try anymore." Roberto turned away from her, tending to the dishes that were in the sink.

Alice came into the kitchen to stand by his side, a place she hadn't been by for some time. The warmth of her body standing next to him felt foreign, almost alienated to Roberto. She placed a cold hand on his arm, he shrugged her off.

"Do you want me to change my shifts or do you want to go on a vacation?" She bargained.

"It's not doing to work." He sighed.

"You haven't even given it a second thought." She stomped her foot.

Roberto took a deep breath, carefully washing the knife that was in his hands.

"You said that before, we tried it, and it was a terrible vacation." Roberto stated. "Every time something bad happens to you, you run away from everything."

"I do not." She retorted.

"Then where were you when I needed you? You weren't the only one who lost someone, Alice." Tears fell down Roberto's red face.

Heartbroken and shocked, Alice stepped away from Roberto. She clasped her chest, trying to hide her sobs. Roberto took a shaky breath, immediately regretting his choice of words and looked at Alice. Alice sank to the floor, holding her own torso as protection. Roberto couldn't ignore his wife's mournful cries as she felt the pain arising. He dried his hands and sat on the floor with her, running his hand through her hair as she cried in his lap. He thought to himself that he shouldn't have said anything. Stroking his wife's hair, he didn't know what to say or to think. Only to sit there, where they were only six months ago.