Chapter Two

*First of all, I'm very sorry for the wait. I know it's been an immense amount of time since I last updated, but I'm hoping to update the Cheater sequel, Closer, more often now that exam period is over! I'm also hoping to add it to the Watty Awards, but only when I'm certain that I can update frequently/on time. So, I want everyone to enjoy this chapter! It may be the last one for a while, or the first in a series of quick updates (fingers crossed!) Thanks everyone for reading; love you all so much.*

Chapter Two

“Each day with Leo is always the same… Most days are filled with arguments.” Natalie nods, supporting her head in her free hand, as she looks down at the counter sorrowfully, “Doctor, I understand that it’s typical of a teenager… But… It’s just, this… this isn’t puberty. I…”

What she really wants to say is the truth; it all began the moment he was taken from his Father’s lifeless arms and handed into hers.

Each day with Leo is always the same?  Not this one. This particular Tuesday is filled with severe tension and a deadly silence. The sun still rises, but Leo’s world has come to an end. He slumps over in the shower, resting his arm on the wall and leaning his troubled head against it. A hand runs over his forehead and through his thick locks. Every part of his body is against today.

                His shirt comes down messily onto his body and his jeans slide up slowly. He laces his trainers lazily before slipping on a hoodie in some attempt to hide his miserable face. Just as he is about to close the bedroom door behind, he paces back into the room to take a closer look at himself. His eyes, his lips... They’re his. He thinks of his father all the time...

 His hair and nose resemble the woman who killed him, his mother. Leo lets out a huge sigh, swinging his backpack behind him and starts downstairs.

Avoiding eye contact with her is key; if he looks at her, he will probably see her staring back at him with hopeful eyes and he doesn’t want that. Even worse, he’ll see Gwen’s brown eyes in Natalie. No, he definitely can’t look at her. It will bring about a forced conversation, something he absolutely didn’t include on this morning’s agenda.

Instead, out of the blue, she speaks in a hushed tone,

                “Listen, I don’t know what I can do, where we can go from here...” Her eyes try to meet his, as she ends the call, “It’s your first day. I don’t want this to be a bad start for you.”

Leo refuses to look up from his cereal bowl.

“Cole.” Her eyes widens at this, as she realises the immensity of what she had just said, “I-I-I mean, Leo. I mean, Leo.” By this time, Leo has dropped his spoon. It spirals along with the whirl of the milk.

“I told you not to say his name.”

“I-I’m sorry.”

“I don’t even know why they let you take me. I hate you.” He growls, “I hate her.”

“You...”

“She killed him. She ruined everything.”

“You don’t understand, Leo. You were only a baby then.”

“I knew everything he was saying. She ... She hurt him and all he was trying to do was protect me.”

“No!”

“Stop defending her!” He pushes everything that is in front of him off of the table, including both of their cereal bowls, which come crashing down onto the dark, tiled kitchen floor and their two glasses which also smash on impact with the ground. He promptly snatches the phone from her hand and flings it across the room with an almighty grunt.