CHAPTER 5: PECULIAR HAPPENINGS...

"Some friends don't understand this. They don't understand how desperate I am to have someone say, I love you and I support you just the way you are because you're wonderful just the way you are. They don't understand that I can't remember anyone ever saying that to me. I am so demanding and difficult for my friends because I want to crumble and fall apart before them so that they will love me even though I am no fun, lying in bed, crying all the time, not moving. Depression is all about If you loved me you would."
― Elizabeth Wurtzel, Prazac  Nation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mallory Andrews walked into her school one particularly, hot Monday morning. To the external world, Mallory Andrews seemed normal . Or as normal as Mallory Andrews always was. She was her usual quiet self. Her first period books as per usual, clutched tight in her arms , as if they were the only things that were inhibiting her from flying away. It was not unusual for Mallory to look sad. She always looked as if she had the weight of the whole world on her shoulders. So , the sullen and sour expression on her face, had not fazed anybody.

Internally though, Mallory was busy deteriorating. Her soul was beginning to turn to ash , and unlike a phoenix , whom rose , stronger and greater after being turned to ash, Mallory felt like her soul was going to turn to ash , and finally to be blown away from her, leaving her empty. Her heart wept a melancholy song, that wove into every inch of her body, patenting her entire body, with a trademark of sadness.  The gentle hum of her blood , was the only thing that seemed to will Mallory to live. 

Mallory recalled the previous night, as she made her way to her class. She remembered fainting and then waking up in her bed. She had forgotten what had happened. She immediately had seen a peculiar sight. Her father was holding her right hand and was asleep on a chair next to her bed. Just as she was about to remove her hand from her father grip, she felt a sharp pain travel through her body. She looked for the source of the pain and saw, her arm , where the pain had originated from, was bandaged up. Then , it hit her . The memories flashed through her. She remembered her mother had broken the glassware on her arm and then she fainted. Her father seemed to have taken out all of the glass pieces and bandaged her arm up. She removed her hand from her fathers and just as she got out of her bed , her father woke up. "Mallory?" he asked, panic filled his voice . "I'm here." Mallory mumbled, her father turned around and ran towards her, he held her tightly and whispered, " For a minute there I thought I lost you. Thank God you're alright. " He released her from his tight hug, and seemed to scan her body with his eyes, as if he was looking if she was physically alright. What he had failed to do was to internally scan her. He failed to ask her how she was feeling. If he had, he would have seen , how her heart was slowly, yet quickly dying. How her emotions were running wild and burning her soul. How her mind was starting to go crazy, the voices and echos that were so loud, were slowly  , yet surely driving her to a point were she felt like not even sleep would quiet the buzz. How she felt so close to tearing her skin from her body, just so that the hatred that was building and nesting in her body could be released.  But ,he did not. After he  checked to see if she was physically alright , he kissed her on her head , told her to get some rest and left her. Alone , with her demons that were now just getting started. They had taunted her the whole night. They had forbidden her to sleep. The morning light came too soon. Mallory was already awake and everything in her house had gone back to normal, as if nothing had happened. 

Now, as she stopped in front of her first period class, her bandaged arm covered from the world to see, Mallory felt heavy. Her arm was aching because of yesterday and her mind was running wild with thoughts, they were so loud, Mallory was afraid someone would hear them. But, nobody really took enough note of Mallory to notice anything unusual about her. She took a deep breath in, and just as she was about to enter her class, something peculiar happened.

A person blocked her way. The person was purposefully standing in front of Mallory. Mallory looked up. Her eyes roamed the face of this particular person. His , dark brown eyes , had a glint of mischief in them. The  face was unknown to Mallory. Maybe he was new or maybe he wasn't , because Mallory paid so little attention to the outside world, she barely knew all her fellow peers faces, let alone their names ." Hi , I'm new here . I'm looking for the Grade 12 English classroom , but I can't seem to find it. I was hoping if you could help me out ?" the face asked. Mallory stared at him for what seemed forever. A golden rule of the school was broken . Someone, other than Karissa Robertson was actually talking to her. Dumbstruck , she said nothing. The face , cleared his throat and looked deep into Mallorys eyes, causing her to lower her gaze. She quietly said, " The English class is right behind you actually.You're blocking the doorway for other students to get in. " . "Oh! Silly me . Thanks for the help , umm..." , he said moving  out of the way . Mallory knew he was fishing for her name, but she wasn't going to fall for that bait. So instead she walked in without saying a word in reply. 

The rest of the day had went on as per usual. Nobody spoke nor looked at Mallorys  way. That had all changed at break. Mallory was making her way to the Sycamore tree , when someone grabbed her arm. Mallory slowly turned around to face the person whom had encaptured  her arm. It was the new boy from this morning. "Hey! I was trying to get to you after the English lesson to say thanks, but you kinda just vanished. " the boy said. He had a small smile playing on his lips. Before Mallory could reply , he said, " I was hoping to put a name to the face?", this time smile widened, the type of smile that reaches the eyes. " Mallory Andrews. " someone said that was definitely not Mallory. Mallory knew whom it was that said her name. "And I'm Karissa Robertson. " Karissa said , smiling as she stood next to Mallory. " Well, nice to meet you Mallory Andrews and of course Karissa Robertson. " , the boy said, Mallory lowered her gaze to her arm . This whole time he had not removed his grip on her arm. Mallory looked up at him again and back at her arm. It was now her time to clear her throat. " Oh! Sorry ." the boy said, after he got her hint and he let go of her arm. " So , what's your name  ? " Karissa asked, " My name is Flynn Mathews, " the boy said, his gaze moving from Mallory to Karissa. At this point Mallory turned around to go. 

Mallory was already at the Sycamore tree when someone called her name. Curiosity got the best of her and she turned around. It was Flynn. " You know you should maybe consider doing illusions like Houdini did, because you sure know how to disappear in broad daylight." he jokingly said . Mallory stared at him. " Luckily Karissa knew where you would be. What a beautiful tree. " he continued. If he knew Mallory was not interested in small talk he did not show it. " So..., not much of a talker?" he asked after Mallory continued to just stare at him. "Well? What are you waiting ? I've been dying to climb this tree! Bet I'll get on top first ." he said as he started to climb up the tree.

Mallory stared as he made his way up the tree. A smile forced her way onto her face. Mallory started to climb the tree. A very peculiar thought started to envelope her brain and like a fungus it clung to her brain cells.

She thought maybe , just maybe her life was taking a turn for the better.

Just maybe...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING!!!!!

THIS ONE IS DEDICATED TO @HEBATALLAHHADY. WOW! CAN YOU BELIEVE SIX YEARS HAS GONE BY!!!!YOUR FREINDSHIP HAS MEANT AND STILL MEANS A LOT TO ME !!! THANKS FOR JUST BEING YOU AND ALLOWING ME TO BE ME.[ WHICH IS A LOT FOR ANY SANE PERSON TO DO, COS WE DON'T HAVE TO SUGARCOAT ANYTHING, I'M CRAZY!!] YOU ROCK!!AND YES, IT HAS BEEN SCIENTIFUCALLY PROVEN THAT I'M AMAZING!!!DON'T DENY IT !!

PLEASE SHARE, COMMENT AND VOTE!!

ALSO , IS EVERYONE AS EXCITED AS I AM OVER FLYNN!!!TALK ABOUT A CURVEBALL IN MALLORYS DIRECTION.

AGAIN, THANKS FOR READING!!!

LOVESS!!MWAH!!!