5| Mr Jackson, History

A life with love, is a life that's been lived
••••••
New schools are always daunting but schools that are littered with ancient artefacts and suits of amour are down right spooky for two reasons. 1. If I break something, it's going to take triple my bank statement plus my savings to replace it. 2. I'm not too keen on being chased down the hallways by a moving metal suit - I watched a horror movie once and it was strange.

Unfortunately though, there was no other way to class than to pass the exhibits in this museum they like to call a school. Lucky me.

Lila told me to meet her outside the classroom for my first lesson, after she had supplied me with my school uniform. It consisted of a navy and white tartan skirt, which reached a few inches above my knee, with a white shirt. A blue tie hung snug round my neck and was tucked into a navy jumper. A dark navy blazer completed the uniform. We could pick what we wore on our legs, so I paired it with white knee high socks and heeled boots.

I had never worn uniform before, so it was a strange experience to be in exactly the same clothes as every girl in this school. True a few added their own twist - mainly undoing a few buttons to show cleavage. But the majority blended into a sea of navy and white.

I spotted Lila just up ahead, leaning against a few lockers.

"So how bad is it going to be? What's your name or tell me your life story from start to finish, including all spontaneous moments that lead to your arrival here?" I gestured to the classroom once in hearing distance of Lila. She immediately looked at me a shook her head with a small smile on her face.

"Your just one big ball of sarcasm you know that right?" She jokes as her eyebrows lifted.

I pointed an accusing finger at her, "hey, I'm a delicate person, with little to no muscle or strength. Sarcasm is my only method of defence." That wasn't the real reason though. I was anything but weak. However, growing up I learnt the best way to feel a little better about myself is to undermine my mother with my splendid wit, as she doesn't have the intelligence to recognise sarcasm - of course I didn't say that part aloud.

Lila just shook her head and laughed, "Mr Jackson is fine. Little rough round the edges but that's due to his recent separation from his wife." She then turned and looked at me seriously, "Sophia, this isn't an ordinary school. There's a food chain and unfortunately your at the bottom since your new. Now I'm not saying to go into hibernation but just be aware that they have claws here and they're not afraid to use them." She sent me a reassuring smile before walking in.

Mr Jackson, History

I sighed at the plaque on the door and went inside to take a seat next to Lila. I didn't get far.

"Ah Miss Hamilton, glad you could join us." The cheery tone of a teacher caused to to stop in my tracks and turn to face him. I tried to smile at him but I'm pretty sure it was more like a grimace. This I the part I hate. "Please introduce yourself to the class."

"It's fine, you just did" I said simply in the hopes he would drop it. He looked youngish, around 30 maybe. He's blonde hair was combed back and held in place with gel, whilst a five a-clock shadow was noticeable on his upper lip. However, he seemed to not recognise my reluctance as a reassuring smile graced his face.

"Oh no no please. Go right ahead." I heaved a sigh at his accidental attempt to humiliate me.

"Right, well my name is Sophia Hamilton, I'm 17 years old and I'm originally from London." I tried to keep it short and sweet in the hope he would accept my lame introduction and let me sit down.

However, it was not my lucky day. "Lovely, does anyone have any questions for Sophia?" He beamed out towards the class expecting them to be interested in me. At this moment I wanted the ground to swallow me up. Out of a rich bunch of stuck up kids, who's going to waste their breathe on someone with no label or title, just a mother who doesn't love her enough to keep her.

Mr Jackson's smile seemed to get even wider if possible. I looked forward towards his source of glee. A hand raised in the air.

"Yes, Mr Connor. What's your question?" What worries me was there was a slight flicker of worry in Mr Jackson's eyes as he realised who's body the hand was attached to.

The boy, who adopted a lazy smirk on his face, leaned back in his chair as he voiced his question, "are you single Miss Hamilton?"

I kept my face emotionless. Of course a hormonal boy would be looking at me as fresh meat. Nothing new in the effects of testosterone. "Who's asking?" I asked simply.

"Only the boy from your dreams."

I drew my eyebrows together and tilted my head to displays the best confused expression I could. "That's all you've got?"

He's eyes lit up in surprise as he studied my face.  "What do you mean sweetheart?"

My lips drew up slightly as I mimicked his name Mr Jackson called him earlier. "I mean, Mr Connor, cliche doesn't get you far. I'd work on the lines a little if I were you." I smiled innocently at the end of my sentence to appear unaffected by his attempt to flirt - if that's what you could even call it. There were a few snickers from his classmates as one of his 'bros' tapped him on the back, laughing at his deflated ego.

"Well, you may take a seat Miss Hamilton." I accepted his offer as soon as it left Mr Jackson's mouth.

As I plonked myself next to Lila she turn to look at me with an amused face. "Just can't keep your mouth shut, can you?"

I smiled brightly at her, "you'll learn to love me for it."

••••••
Hola chicassss. Apologies for the delay, I have just had mock exams and haven't had time to write. I will hopefully be gracing you with updates more often now but I can't make promise.
I hope your enjoying the story so far. You may think it is going a bit slow and understandable but I am trying to build a foundation before I rush into the juicy stuff as sometimes i find the quicker a story goes the easier it is to get lost.
Anyways hope the beginning of your spring has been great! 💗🐠