Words Are Broken

“I-I guess I could.”

“John, you know we can’t deal with having dead weight follow us around today,” Francie mentioned, staring at me.

“Are ye mad, woman? Lola, love, come back and be Yoko’s sister for the day! It’ll be fun!”

I peeked back at Francie, who was now disgusted with the thought of Yoko and I being siblings. I playfully shrugged, and took my spot next to them. Yoko hugged me, and John patted my head. I didn’t mind them at all, actually, even if everyone else was caught off guard by their weirdness.

The rest of the group filed out of the room, with the cameramen leading. George and Ringo shared a pack of cigarettes, and met us at the door.

“Aye, it’s Lola,” Ringo cheered, offering me a puff on his ciggie. He was decked out in a dark blue number, with a canary yellow shirt cascading down his chest.

“’ello, Lola,” George said, giving me a beautiful smile. He wore a maroon jacket, and looked as though he just rolled out of bed. His striped pants squeezed his lower half, and I strained to keep my eyes fixed on his face.

“So, first shot is at Thomson House. Let’s go, men,” Mr. McCullin bellowed. The cameramen followed him out the front door. Paul, Mal, and Gary hurried out of the room. I waved over at Gary, who then squealed and ran to me. I heaved him on my hip, and tickled his tummy.

“Lola! Lola, love, how are ye,” Paul said, walking over and planted a short, but sweet, kiss on my cheek. I swore that I heard a growl emitting from over the desk. He looked so handsome in his outfit. Powder pink never looked so good on a man! I felt my heart palpitate even harder.

Francie rushed over, and yanked Paul by the arm. She glowered at me before they went out the door. I walked along with Mal, lugging little Gary on my side.

“Does Francie think I’m gonna take Paul away from her?”

Mal glanced down at me and chuckled. He resituated his glasses.

“Let’s just say she isn’t too proud to ‘ave anotha American woman takin’ ‘er spotlight.”

“Well, it’s not like I planned being picked out by Paul!”

I placed Gary down in the car, and followed behind Mal. He opened the door for me, and grinned.

“He sure picked out the best!”

I couldn’t help but smile as I gazed out of the window. My mind drifted back into my earlier flashback as Little Gary kicked the back of my seat.