Few Words to Choose

Children were playing down the sidewalks as mothers worriedly watched. Of course, a few gelato carts were rolling around, getting in their daily sales. The weather seemed to be getting to everyone, except me. London heat was nothing compared to Texas scorch. I was actually feeling a bit cold in the dress that didn’t stray past my knees. I came up to the studios, and saw a bundle of young girls flittering about the gates.

“Good morning,” I greeted with much sincerity.

“Hey, yer the new bird with the record deal,” the raven-haired girl shouted.

“Yer so beautiful,” another gasped.

“Thank y’all so much! Well, I better hurry in, or they’ll start without me!”

“Please tell Ringo I said hi,” a nasally voice rang out before I shut the door behind me.

I glanced down the hallway, hearing a mixture of voices milling about something. I didn’t want to intrude on anything important, so I headed for the main desk.

“Francie, is that you?”

The dark-haired woman looked up from her desk of documents, and pouted. It was as almost as if she was disappointed in me being there. She sighed, and shoved her pencil behind her ear.

“What are you doing here? Did you not know the boys are photo shooting today?”

I shook my head, surprised by her suddenness. I looked over at the room everyone was in. All four Beatles, five men I didn’t recognize, Mal and his son, and Yoko, were all huddled together, some with cameras on their shoulders.

“Where are they gonna take the pictures?”

Francie sighed, and used her pencil to point at the older man discussing with Paul.

“See him? That’s Don McCullin. He’s one of the photographers from the war. Paul specially asked him to take some publicity photos around London. Now, if you don’t mind, it’s time for you to head out!”

“Why can’t I stay?”

“Because you’ll ruin everything! Now, shoo, shoo, shoo!”

 I glared at Paul’s “girl-toy” and turned on my heel to head out the door. I was almost halfway down the hall when I heard a faint cry.

“Lola! Lola, where are you heading? Where are you heading, Lola?”

I looked over my shoulder to see John and Yoko standing by the desk. They both fluttered their hands like two lovebirds would do. Francie leaned her head on her closed fist. I gave them a complimentary wave.

“Aren’t ye gunna stay with us fer a while,” John asked.