TWO

A VOW

***

"Spray paint." Armaita heard, walking into the living room. She couldn't look at Jocelyn, so she walked over to stand by Luke and Clary. Clary was gushing over the new paint, and Like chuckled. "If I catch any of that paint on city walls, I will arrest you. Mai, you make sure she doesn't do any of that." Luke didn't like Tea, so he called Armaita 'Mai', another nickname she hated.

"The paint is for Simon's van." Clary insisted, looking at Luke with a smile. "I'm insisting they rename the band." Armaita liked 'Champagne Enema', but apparently Clary didn't share the same opinion. Clary was fiddling with something, and Armaita's eyes widened when she saw what it was. Luke saw her, and confusion flashed across his face. But still Armaita felt safe around him, clinging to the false hope that one werewolf could protect her from all of Heavens fury.

"Did your mom talk to you about that?" Luke asked, shrugging off Armaita's look. The Angel clenched her hand, resisting the urge to pray for the conversation to end.

"The heirloom." Clary said, and Armaita smiled. She wished more than anything that Clary could remain that innocent and ignorant to the Shadow World, but knew deep down that the calm was about to end. "Yeah, it's beautiful." Luke looked at Armaita carefully, before deciding it was okay to continue.

"Clary, you're 18 now, and-" Luke was cut off by a sharp laugh from Clary. Armaita flinched, unaware Clary could be so abrupt. She glanced at Jocelyn, a big mistake. She looked afraid, and was begging her silently to protect Clary. Armaita nodded subtly, and Jocelyn masked her shock well. Armaita's silent gesture confirmed what Clary's mother had guessed.

"What is with you guys?" Clary asked, smiling. "I'm turning 18, it's not like I'm headed off on some epic journey." Armaita was about to say something, but Simon had walked in. Armaita smiled to herself, his presence was calming, a break from her internal turmoil.

"But you are!" Simon said, whilst briefly hugging Armaita in a greeting. They'd seen each other not too long ago, so Armaita didn't see the need to do that. As much as she knew, she'd never understand humans, or mundane sad they were called now. "See, we are going to Lombardi's - to celebrate your birthday after our gig." Simon was so excited, it warmed Armaita's heart.

"You should come back here after." Jocelyn said quickly, earning her a sharp look from Armaita. Jocelyn ignored it, and briefly paused. "The city's not that safe right now." Armaita scoffed quietly, not wanting to dislodge her already precarious relationship with Jocelyn.

"Ah, thanks, Mom, but we're set." Clary said with a smile. She grabbed Armaita's arm and pulled her closer, looking her up and down once, before nodding in acceptance. Armaita didn't have a moment to respond as Simon had started talking again.

"Yeah, we will take a rain check." Jocelyn wanted to protest but Simon continued. The mundane could talk for America in an Olympic event, Armaita silently joked. "Wait. Do I smell chicken cacciatore?" Simon asked, getting distracted. Armaita held in a laugh, touching his arm and shooting him an amused but serious look.

"Simon." She said, removing her hand slowly. "Your gig." She reminded him, also slightly wanting to stay for the chicken cacciatore. Even though she didn't need food, she still like to indulge in the pleasure it provided. And it also helped her maintain her cover as a mundane.

Armaita zoned out, looking at Luke. She knew he was a werewolf, but did he know about her? He obviously knew she was involved in the Shadow World, but Armaita wondered how much he really knew. How would he react when he found out she was billions years older than the Shadow Worlds existence. Luke made eye contact with her eventually, and Armaita looked back to the scene before her.

"Mom uh, Mom? Mom, you have to let me go." Clary said with a small laugh, Jocelyn was engulfing her in a tight hug. "I'm biologically and legally an adult." Clary joked, earning a reading glare from Luke. Armaita smiled at the interaction. It was times like that she regretted not staying with Heaven. But the moment quickly passed and her regret faded.

"Yeah." Jocelyn said. "That's what I'm afraid of." Clary jumped on Simons back and the two headed out. Armaita followed them, but was stopped by Jocelyn saying her name. "Look after her, Armaita." She said, and Armaita nodded, making a silent vow that she would protect Clary Fray until the day either of them died.

Here's an update at the request of a very polite reader on the last chapter. Sorry for the delay.
XOXO
- N A N C Y