Chapter 2 【Inigo】

Aleta was one of the few lucky ones, and she knew it

She knew she was incredibly blessed to have never experienced the paralyzing pain of a heartbreak. She was on the path to become one in body and in marriage with her first and only love.

They've experienced so many bumps along the way, from minor misunderstandings to four arduous years of long distance, but they would finally see the finish line in the clearing. At this point, everything wrong seemed so minuscule compared to the big picture.

She loved him beyond words and would always have a smile grace her face when she remembered that he was all hers.

Cyrus Le. 

Even the way his name rolled off her tongue was smooth and sweet, dripping with honey. He always stood so tall, his back straight and always facing forward. He wasn't one to look back on his mistakes and wallow in the pain, he knew time was merciless to no one and that he has to strive to match it.

And she absolutely loved that of him. She loved every inch of him, from his long eyelashes she was so envious of to the cactus-shaped birthmark on his forearm. She loved how safe she felt in his tatted arms, how he would occasionally embrace her tighter, as if making sure he wasn't dreaming and that she was really there, really his.

And Cyrus did too, never failing to remind her how truly lucky he was and how much he adored her one dimple on her left cheek. Occasionally surprising her with a bouquet of peonies whenever she had a bad day at work or simply to thank her for being there for him. With her, it felt like it was just them against the world.

Aleta Rell was one of the few lucky ones, but she never would've fathomed that her luck was running dry.

– Wings –

Aleta ran down the chilly streets of New York while gripping onto the strap of her tote. When she stepped into Times Square she gulped at the large multitude before her. Living in New York for the better part of her life, she knew the city like the back of her hand and rushing through the wave of tourists was a casual walk in Central Park for her, but she couldn't help but feel overwhelmed.

After all, she was on a tight time crunch. She and Cyrus were going to celebrate their five year anniversary together. Even thinking about their anniversary brought a burst of joy warming her heart against the frigid January cold.

She excused herself every time she cut someone off as she speed-walked through the sea of people. Upcoming she saw a middle-aged man immersed on his phone coming in her direction. She quickly scooted left, to avoid him but yelped when he unknowingly weened left and the two collided.

"Ouch!" She yelped as her phone fell out of her pocket and onto the concrete. She nearly shrieked when she saw his phone slip out of his hands and into a murky puddle of melted snow. "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!" She said out of habit.

Aleta knelt down and took off her glove and quickly pulled the submerged phone out and tried to swipe all of the water off, but she knew it was a goner.

She bowed as she handed the water-damaged phone to the furious owner.

"Are you freaking serious? This is the brand new myPhone X, I literally just bought this. You're going to pay for a new one, you know that!" He spat.

Flustered, she nodded. "B-But you weren't look—"

She winced when he began to berate her.

"Are you seriously blaming me for you running into me! The nerve of millennials!" He swiped his broken phone out of her hands. "I can't even get your number because you broke my brand new phone!"