four

four.

"I'm so fancy. You already know!" Zara's brother, Ezra sang, moving his hips in his chair at red lights. "I'm in the fast lane, whatever these words are!"

I was laughing so hard, when Drunk in Love came on. Ezra was screaming when the DJ announced it, gripping Louis' hand to try to keep himself calm.

Louis was laughing too and his laugh sounded like a Psalm directly spoken from the tongue of David. It was beautiful, light, and flowing, like a harp played by an angel.

He kept looking at me through the driver's mirror. I sat in between Zara and Rosemary, so it was easily to spot me when I was right in the middle. I challenged him, raising my eyebrows in annoyance. He just continued to smile smugly, and I rolled my eyes, pulling out my phone.

"Are any of you guys hungry?" Ezra asks, turning the driver's mirror so he was now looking at us. "We can stop for some food."

"I kind of want a burger." Rosemary said, rolling her neck.

"Robyn? How about you?"

I look up, and nod. "That sounds good."

"How 'bout you, squirt?" Ezra grinned at his little sister through the mirror. She didn't even look up as he started to laugh.

"That's fine, Ezra."

"Nice to see some girls who eat." He said, and on instinct my eyes darted up at him. I felt my shoulders tense as the car moved forward. I shook it off. Ezra truly meant no harm.

We stopped for shakes, burgers, and fries at a nearby burger joint. We ate inside much to my surprise. I figured we would jump into the drive thru lane, but sitting there with my friends and Louis felt kind of nice.

Louis was still watching me in between the sips of his shake. I would occasionally look his way as if I was interested in who he was and why he was staring at me.

That only made him try harder.

He'd turn questions back to me, even ask direct questions to me, and when I could not find the words, he even asked further.

I felt choked up and stupid for letting him get in my head, but he was so fascinating. In the most peculiar way.

I coughed, clearing my throat. "I have to go to the bathroom." I barely met Louis' gaze. "I'll be back."

"You okay?" Zara called after me.

"Dandy." I said, voice a little too sweet.

I crept inside, then washed up afterwards. I smoothed out my hair, reapplied my lipgloss, and looked at myself in the mirror.

I wished Louis wasn't staring at me so much, but he had already taken mental photographs of who I was.

When I exited the bathroom and found him leaning beside the entrance, I practically screamed.

"Q-Quit that!" I yelled, placing a hand over my heart.

"I didn't do a thing." He chuckled. "Look, they loaded in already. Rosemary packed up a bag for you." He said simply. I was too busy staring into his eyes to even notice the white paper bag that was wrapped up with my burger and fries.

"Thank you." I whispered, and he nodded, standing up straighter as I took my bag from him. He walked behind me and kept his hand on the small of my back as he walked me outside. I felt safe. It was a weird feeling.

"There they are." Rosemary smirked, rolling the window down to smile at us. She slid the van door open, and Louis helped me in like a gentleman, his hand out in case I needed it. Rosemary nudged me a little as I buckled my seatbelt. I gave her a funny look as Louis slipped into the passenger seat, and Ezra started to take off. 

Both Zara and Rosemary were staring at me as I fiddled with my bag. The paper sort of smelled like him. I folded the edges and refolded them until I realized their stares.

"W-What?" I said, looking at Zara then Rosemary. "Am I missing something?"

"You are so naive."