Chapter 30 Kaidyn

Chantel's parents were already getting the life insurance papers ready. When Marcus found out what they were doing, shit hit the fan. Talk about crazy. He went over her parents house and started threatening them. They tried using some excuse that the money was only to cover the funeral but the amount of money that they were trying to get was extreme. Marcus told them that if anything happened, he would pay for her funeral. It seemed like her parents didn't have much faith in her living but I knew she would pull through. Growing up, she always did, Dria and her were the strongest.

     I didn't know why Marcus was running around here acting so concerned, when he didn't truly care about Chantel. I came over to apologize about blaming him for what happened to Chantel but caught Erica leaving his grandmother's house with a stupid smile on her face. . I couldn't believe it but I should have known, Marcus was always cheating on whoever he was with and we would have been stupid to think that Chantel would be any different.

      After leaving the hospital, I came home and saw my grandmother sitting on the couch. She looked like she had been waiting for me.

"Hey?" I spoke looking at her strangely while shutting the door behind me.

"This came in the mail." She said, rising from the couch and handing me an envelope.

I quickly peeled it open and began to read.

     University of Miami

Dear Kaidyn Smith,

Congratulations! It is with great pleasure that I inform you of your admission to University of Miami. You were selected from an accomplished and academically talented group of applicants who applied under the Early Decision Plan. You and your classmates are truly outstanding in your achievements, your diversity of interests, and your potential.

The faculty and staff join me in welcoming you to University of Miami. This is a particularly exciting time at the College; the opportunity for personal involvement in all facets of your education here is significant. The College continues to be distinguished by the commitment of its faculty to combine excellence in teaching with exceptional scholarship and research. New major initiatives undertaken in the last few years, including a reaffirmation of the commitment to a diverse student body, an expansion of the financial aid program, and a major revitalization of student residential life, will each enhance Miami's national leadership in liberal arts education.

I hope this early acceptance to University of Miami will enable you to pursue the rest of your secondary school experience without the additional demands of the college admissions process. It is our expectation that you will remain fully engaged in your studies and other pursuits for the remainder of your secondary school career. As you know, under the early decision agreement you are required to withdraw applications at all other colleges and refrain from initiating any new ones. Please confirm your decision to enroll by submitting the form that is enclosed with your paper notification.

Again, congratulations on your acceptance. Please let me know if we can be of any help to you between now and next September. You can expect to receive information pertaining to the first year from the First-Year Office in March and then again in May. We look forward to welcoming you in the fall and working with you during the exciting four years ahead.

Sincerely,

Maria Laskaris

Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid

     My eyes widened as I jumped repeatedly with the letter glued to my hand. It felt like a dream but it wasn't.

"You got in?" She asked smiling.