15 || An Ambush

Panic was flying around the Glen as everyone stopped in front of the Doors. No one was sure why the Doors remained opened, but it couldn't be a good sign. At this point, we were now totally vulnerable to the Grievers and to whatever else was out there.

"Why aren't the Doors closing?" I asked.

"I don't know," Sonya replied. "But that's not good that they're still open. They shouldn't be."

BOOM!

Everyone screamed, covering our ears at the loud noise. Then, to everyone's surprise, another Door began to open up.

BOOM!

Another Door opened.

BOOM!

The final Door opened, the panic and anxiety increased for everyone.

Rachel tried to stay calm, looking at all of us. "Okay, we need some people to go to the Homebase and start barricading the doors!" Cora and some Planters left to get started. "Everyone else, grab every weapon that you can find, then meet at the Homebase!"

The Glenners all scattered around to get what we would all need. But before anyone got very far...

"GRIEVERS!" someone shouted.

A roaring sound echoed throughout the Glen, then to everyone's dismay, the creatures were now in plain sight.

"Everyone, hide!" Sonya screamed.

We all ran in different directions. I followed Rachel, Aris, Lillie, and some other Glenners to the Gardens where we hid in the fields. The growls of the Grievers were getting closer and closer as Rachel motioned us to be quiet. Before we knew it, a spike from one of the Grievers was above us, then it came down on us and grabbed Mary.

"Help me!" she shouted.

"Mary!" I shouted, trying to grab her, but the Griever took her before I made it to her.

We ran out of the Gardens and towards the Homebase. I spotted Beth, Gwyneth, and some other Glenners jumping inside the Box. The Grievers were all over the place, taking Glenners and devouring them. About halfway to the Homebase, a Griever jumped in the way of Lillie and I. Our hearts were about to pound out of our chests as the Griever got closer to us. Then, before it could attack us, a splash of fire hit it, engulfing the creature.

We looked over to see that Esther was the one that saved us. "Come on!" she yelled, grabbing us and running to the Homebase with us behind her.

"Hurry up! Get inside!" Cora screamed at us.

We were the last ones to enter inside the Homebase. Once we were in, Cora slammed the door shut, locking it behind her.

"Lock all of the doors!" Harriet ordered, coming down the stairs, checking behind everyone.

Suddenly, a Griever was pounding on the Homebase, more fear entering inside of us. We were trapped in the Homebase with no escape. I was conflicted whether or not we'd make it through the night. I began to breathe heavily, thinking about Mary and how I wasn't there for her in time to save her from the Griever. I felt the guilt come over me.

"You couldn't do anything to save her," Rachel told me.

"Yes, I could have," I replied, not looking at her. "I didn't get there in time to help her."

"Be quiet!" Sonya hissed.

So we all kept our mouths shut, breathing as quietly as we could. The Griever crawled around the Homebase, snarling and growling.