Feelings change like the weather

Prompt by FireflyAfterDark: Narry being best friends but don't dare to admit it and confess eventually in autumn.

Winter

It was cold and windy and just not a good time to be outside, yet, nine year old Harry thought it was the perfect time to play in the snow with his new trucks Santa gave him for Christmas. He had a blue one and a green one but he liked the blue one more because it was bigger. It looked a bit like the truck he had seen a week ago, when it drove past his house to the end of his street. He remembered because when it stopped he saw a few strong men getting furniture out of it. Behind the truck were a few cars, and out of it came a family with a dad and a mum and two boys. He got out of the house with his mum to look and apparently it was a family from a different country, he couldn't remember which one, and they came to live here. He had ran to the two boys to say hello, and they greeted each other, but the oldest of the two had ran off to help his dad with something. The younger one was shy and had ran to his mum to hide behind her legs. He hadn't seen him since.

So now he was playing with his new trucks, but it wasn't really fun because he had no one to play with. He had asked his sister, Gemma, but she said it was too cold outside and would rather help their mum make cookies. Harry found that something for girls and had put on his coat and gloves and beanie and went outside. He had made a small hill of snow and was riding up and down upon it with his toys. He looked up from them and let his eyes roam the street. It looked like he was the only one outside. He huffed and was ready to grab his toys and go inside to bug his mum and Gemma and constantly ask if the cookies were ready or not, but then he saw the small new boy. He really wanted someone to play with and he seemed nice, so Harry stood up and abandoned his toys for a little bit to walk up to the boy. Walk, not run
, because otherwise he'd fall. He saw the small boy look up from where he was standing, still on his lawn, ice cold hand in his mouth. Harry waved at him and he waved back hesitantly, which was good enough for Harry.

"Hi!" Harry said enthusiastically, and the boy just smiled, but didn't say anything. Harry looked at him but when he realized the boy wasn't going to talk anytime soon, he took responsibility.

"I'm Harry, what your name?" He asked, tone still the same. The boy seemed uncomfortable, but put his hand out of his mouth to hide it behind his back.

"Niall." He said, and Harry smiled, but Niall had mistaken it for something else than friendliness. His eyes started to water, and Harry had no idea what to do.

The reason Niall was so shy was not because he found new people scary, and he thought Harry was pretty friendly. No, Niall was shy because he found out his voice was different than the voices of people in England, and he didn't want to be making fun off. Harry had a pretty voice, and he wanted that, but he hadn't. And now, he thought Harry was laughing at him because of it.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked the almost crying boy, and Niall was contemplating if he should answer or not.

"You're laughing at me because I talk funny." He accused, and this was the first time Harry heard his accent, but he found it cool and different and not at all funny and he felt bad for making Niall think that.

"No! I like it, it sounds cool!" Harry exclaimed, and just like that Niall's tears were gone and he smiled at the curly boy.

"Where are you from?" Harry asked, interested and Niall beamed, because Harry was his friend now and he was tired of playing with his brother, Greg, who talked about girls and Niall only wanted to play Pokemon, but Greg didn't seemed to understand that.

"Ireland!" Niall said loudly, and Harry's eyes winded because, wow, that was super far away.

"Wow, that is on the other side of the world!" Harry said, and Niall nodded because they came here by car and it's been a very long drive and Harry could be right about Ireland being on the other side of the world and suddenly he felt very proud of where he came from because Harry seemed very impressed.