When you're gone

~~*~~

January 18th 1980

Point Place Wisconsin

Eric Forman's basement

Nobody has seen or heard from Hyde for over a day, and yet there they were. Sitting in the basement, the five of them, acting like everything was okay. Kelso, Fez and Jackie were on the couch, whereas Donna and Eric were on the chairs. The gang was laughing and having fun. Aside from Jackie. All she could think about is why Steven wasn't there with them. It felt strange that he left right after she told him that the night at the playground was a mistake. 

Stop it, Jackie. She couldn't occupy her mind with Steven. She was there with her boyfriend and with their friends. Only that mattered. Fez wrapped one arm around Jackie and put one hand on her thigh. That's what she should focus on.

"Do you guys know where Hyde is?" asked Donna.

"That doesn't really bother me" started Kelso. "Remember that time when he went missing for three weeks, but he was just in Las Vegas marrying a stripper? And that turned out great."

Everyone looked at Kelso. Of course, to him marrying a stripper would be a dream come true, but the rest of them knew that there was more behind his marriage to Samantha. But what not everyone knew was that this might be the exact same situation. Donna looked at Jackie, as if asking if she's alright. She tried to be cool with the current situation, but she really wasn't. And only Donna knew why.

Seconds felt like hours, hours felt like days. The colors were faded, the sounds suppressed. Without Steven, Jackie's world was dull and insignificant. For a few days she would just lie on the couch or in her bed in her pajamas, watching stupid romantic comedies. She didn't even bother having a shower. She just didn't care. 

She couldn't believe Steven left her once again. And this time it was no one else's fault, but hers. Kelso's words kept echoing in her head, not letting her forget about Sam and Las Vegas. Jackie wondered what he was doing. If he just ran away and never wanted to come back, or maybe if he just needed to disappear for a few days to blow off some steam. Either way, not knowing was slowly killing Jackie inside.

"Jackie, we're going out tonight. You can't say no." Ordered Donna. "Fez called me, he's really worried. You've been like that for a week." She patted Jackie on the shoulder. "Oh my God, Jackie, you seriously stink. And your hair... You're a mess. Come with me." 

If Donna was telling Jackie that she looked bad, then she really had to look awful.

Donna grabbed Jackie's shoulder and lead her to the bathroom. She turned on the shower and helped her friend to take off all of her clothes. But that didn't help. Jackie just stood there half dead. She didn't even move one muscle. Donna took a sponge and started washing Jackie's dirty body. She poured out almost the whole bottle of shampoo on Jackie's head.

No reaction.

After Jackie was finally clean and dry, Donna took her to her bedroom and sat her on her bed.

"I know why you're like that and I understand..." Donna gasped.

"Do you!? Do you really know?"

"Hey, easy there, cowboy. Don't be rude. And of course I know, Eric left to Africa for a year, Jackie. Or maybe you don't remember?"

"It's not the same. It's Eric you're talking about. He left there because he had his reasons and you knew exactly where he was and how long he would be gone. I don't know where Steven is or if he's even coming back. The last time he was gone like that didn't really end well for the both of us, and now he's making me go through it again!"