Contact

Luma was happy, yes, but she felt so lost she wasn't sure the it leveled out quite right. Whatever the case, at everyone else seemed to be pleased.

It had been what Asha would call a successful mission. Mark was cleared, and had a chance to begin anew working with the Vitae to try and solve the issue of magical rights as one of their representatives, and Timorous was wallowing in self-pity back in Nevermore. Luma was safe, and Phoenix was gone: for good, hopefully, though such things are never quite sure. Asha and Luma, never very friendly to one another, had bonded over their love of music, and Emersyn was progressing with her studies at a good pace.

Later, Luma had even received a letter addressed to her from the old lady in the alley of Lalaland's Underneath, En, asking about her whereabouts and demanding the Vitae to find the missing girl. Luma, who had nearly forgotten about her sudden disappearance in the alley, laughed at the surprisingly demanding tone the letter portrayed. The idea that such a brief acquaintance would take the time to request a search from an organizational superpower made her oddly happy. It was nice to know someone cared for her.

"Luma?" A knock on the door informed Luma that someone had arrived at her temporary bedroom.

"Come in." Luma said, tucking away the letter she was writing in response to En.

Asha walked in, flashing her a brief smile before sitting on the bed. "Are you okay, Lu?"

"I told you, please don't call me that."

"Emersyn and I both have an embarrassing nickname, you need one too." Luma raised an eyebrow.

"Ash and Emy are considered embarrassing now?" she questioned.

"Yes." Asha answered. "Besides, you need to get out of here. Staying inside all day isn't healthy."

"Neither is working yourself to death over some project, and that's what Emersyn is doing." Luma reminded her.

"Maybe, but Emersyn knows her limits. She won't overwork herself. You, however have the opposite problem." Asha pointed out.

Luma shrugged. "Well, maybe I just don't feel like doing anything." she answered matter-of-factly. "Besides, Mark doesn't seem to care." It was true enough. Ever since her healing, Mark had been distant and almost hesitant to talk to her, as though he was biting back his words. Luma hated it. She wanted some company in the foreign Dimensions. They felt nothing like home.

Asha gave her an exasperated look. "Fine. He didn't want you to know, but I suppose I'll tell you."

"Tell me what?" Luma couldn't help being curious.

"Well, he's working something. For all of us, but mostly for you."

"But what is it?"

Asha suppressed a grin. "It's a surprise. You'll like it, for sure."

Luma didn't press for details. She had come to know Asha, and she was certainly one of the most stubborn people Luma had yet to meet. It was actually sort of impressive at times, but terribly frustrating as well.

Silence filled the small bedroom. It wasn't awkward, just uncomfortable. Luma had never been good at making small talk, and neither was Asha. They needed someone to help lead the conversation, but Emersyn had been rather busy as of late, though not always because of her project.

Luma will have to wait another few days to discover what has had Mark and Emersyn so busy, but you, dear reader, won't.

Remember, oh, a couple chapters ago, when Luma made that rather life-changing and heroic decision that led to Mark's freedom and her sacrifice? There was a loophole, rather obvious but deceiving all the same.

Luma couldn't return home to her family. But her family could come to her. Mark had spent the last few weeks tracking down and contacting various mortals until he finally got ahold of Lynx, Ema, and Cassidie.

But it took time. The first time Mark attempted to explain Luma's whereabouts to Lynx, her father, he was, quite simply, ignored. Upon hearing his thought-to-be-deceased younger daughter's name, he hung up without another thought.

However, Mark wasn't just determined, he was also smart. You could hang up on someone on the phone, but an email was something he was likely to read to the end, even if it's just out of curiosity. If it was a well-crafted email, than he hoped that maybe, just maybe Lynx and Ema would start to believe him.

And so email was next.

So when businessman Lynx Wish received an email from an unknown address claiming outrageous things about his daughter and magic, he should have deleted it immediately. But he couldn't deny that he was curious, and he missed Luma painfully. Luma and Lynx hadn't always had the best relationship, but he forgot all about that the moment he realized he'd never see her again.

And so Lynx Wish read the email, start to finish. (Besides, it didn't matter anyways. It was just an email, he could delete it after he read it.)

Mr. Wish,

Hello, I am Mark, better known as Matchitehew. Everything I am about to tell you is true, so if you decide to follow through with the deal, I can make arrangements.

Your daughter, Luma, age 13 (now 14) was swept away in something called a shard storm and washed up the beach of Nightglass, Nevermore...