Part 1 of 1.

It was cloudy. Not a sliver of light to be seen. As the clouds built, the wind picked up outside and you can hear the steady tapping of branches against the apartment window. Sunny was playing with her blocks in the middle of the living room floor, the gentle noise of older music playing in the background.

David, formerly coded with Solid Snake, was cleaning up left over dishes from that night's supper. Gruffly, he called out toward the living room.
"Sunny, it's time for bed."
She hesitated in response, then finally replied with a loud "No!"
"Grrr.... come on! Didn't you want iHop in the morning or something?"
Sunny's expression changed and she was suddenly conflicted.... Food... or annoy David...

..........food it is.

Sunny finally ran into the kitchen with a large grin on her face. "Bed! Bed!"
Smiling softly, David picked up the girl. He took her into her bedroom and tucked her in, kissed her forehead goodnight, and cracked the door to leave a small amount of light. David walked into the living room and sat down, staring at the pictures on the wall. You could hear the faint sound of the radio losing its signal. He finally shut off the radio, sitting alone in the room occupied with the gentle pitter patter of the rain outside.

The pictures. David could only look at the pictures on the wall. It was Hal, himself and Sunny. Brief moments in time captured in single images. Although it seemed so small, it meant the world to David. Hal was supposed to pass after Snake, not before him. It pained David to see Hal's pictures or any remnant of the past that screamed his name.

He stood up slowly, dragging his feet to each picture and inspecting them closely. His expression changed, growing more somber with each photo. One was of Hal in a bulky animé cosplay with Sunny laughing in the background, another of the time all three rode in a helicopter, huge grins across each of their faces. One seemed to catch Snake's eye though... a single picture of Hal reading a story to Sunny. He picked up the picture and stared, his chin quivering. Hal had a soft smile, looking down at Sunny and pointing to each of the large words within the book as Sunny stared in awe.

When Hal fell ill, Snake was most certain he could make it. Hal could make it through anything! .....or so Snake thought. David remembered their final moments. Sunny was at school and Snake was sitting next to Hal's bed, reminiscing over the past: Shadow Moses, Solidus, even talking about the final fight between Snake and Liquid Ocelot. Hal had suddenly grown quiet and turned to Snake, his face worn and pale from fighting the illness.

"Snake...."
Snake looked back at Hal, a worried expression growing on his face.
"What is it, Hal?"

Hal rested his hand on Snake's and looked him dead in the eye.
"David... it's time...."
"No, you can still make it. I can get you more medi-"
"David, no... it is no use. I am tired, medicine isn't working..."

David clenched his teeth and looked down, clutching Hal's hand tightly.
"No..."

Hal coughed and wheezed violently, Snake held tightly onto Hal's hand. This was it...

"David... tell Sunny I love her... teach her everything you have taught me... and that I've taught you.... tell her..." Hal's grip loosened, resting his head back onto his pillow as he closed his eyes.
"Tell her.... that her future is as bright as her name..."

...........

A single tear fell onto the photo. Then two, then four...

It was supposed to be me... not him...

Snake fell slowly to the floor, clenching his teeth and holding the picture tightly against his chest, silently weeping to himself. The rain matched the sorrow left in his old heart.

Not.... him.......