Outbreak | The Dead Chronicles

Chapter 3: Jessi

 "I just don't understand Jessi, Mr. Knight said you could still get that grade up. So why didn't you turn in those assignments?" Jessi sat down in the seat next to her mother in the silver beetle. The car was ironically small just like the height of both the mother and daughter inside.

"I already told you mom, Mr. Knight is being a total prick about it! He gave me additional assignments that nobody else had to do!" Jessi buckled her seat belt and the small beetle took off down the street which was normally busy at this time of night.

"Well I just don't get it Jessi, the twins grades are fine yet you can't seem to keep a steady grade of A's and B's," her mother lectured on as they turned onto Lombardi. Jessi just turned and watched the stadium pass by, its green and gold towering walls were much more interesting than her mother's lecture. " Jessi are you even listening to me?"

Jessi turned back to her, "Eh kind of," she replied making her mother groan in annoyance.

"Fine, have it your way. How was your hunter safety class this evening?" Jessi smirked, school wasn't a favorite topic of her or any teen for that matter, but shooting and hunting with her dad was something she enjoyed. She was very unlike her mother…

"It was okay, tonight we just learned about gun safety. Tomorrow night I think we’re talking about using lever actions and pump actions though so that should be fun," she paused, "even though I already know how to use them." Her mother smiled at that and glanced at her daughter.

She was cute with her long dark red hair and chocolaty brown eyes, yet she didn't have to be told that. It was the beginning of her senior year in high school and already her mother had seen her with all sorts of guys. Jessi didn't even have to try and flirt, they just came to her.

The street lights and buildings began to disperse as they drove further and further out of the city of Green Bay. It was nearing ten o'clock and the night was a cloudy one with no sign of the moon. Surprisingly there were few people on the sidewalks and traffic was soft, which for Green Bay was odd. Jessi 's mom was happy with it as she turned out of the city onto one of the roads leading to the highway.

There house was out in the country in between the highway and city. This is because the Townsend family owns 20 acres of land out here. The acres that Jessi's dad uses for hunting.

The headlights of the small beetle reflected off the speed limit sign as the mother and daughter rounded the big curve on the road. Jessi watched with her hand on her head, bored and tired. Suddenly her eyes widened in alarm at the figure on the road, "MOM STOP!"

It was far too late as the beetle collided with the figure despite the fact that her mother slammed on the brakes. The car hit the person at full force and came to an abrupt stop with the person laying sprawled out on the concrete about ten feet away.

"Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god!" her mom frantically whispered getting out of the car. Jessi followed her mom out of the car towards the deceased woman lying in the road. She was in nothing but a night gown with her dark hair plastered across her pale face and her arms covered in blood.

Jessi stared in revolt but approached casually closer than her mother who stood weeping. "Is she, d-dead Jessi?" Jessi gently shook her, adrenaline pumping through her veins at the sheer sight of blood. When she looked back at her mouth her eyes widened at the sight of a man hobbling towards them.

"Mom behind you!" she managed to screamed seconds too late. The man wrapped around her mom like a tree and clamped his bloody jaws tightly on her neck. "Get off her you sick bastard!" Jessi got up and began running to her mom when she heard a hiss and felt a tugging on her ankle. Looking down she realized the woman was alive, her eyes a putrid red as she crawled closer towards her, one hand latched to her ankle.