0.9

Kim Seokjin POV

Previous night after the dinner

"It's a little too late for this, don't you think?" He yawns from the other side of the line.

"Early bird gets the worm, doesn't it?" I chirp.

"Do I look like a damn worm?"

"No, you act like more of a hermit or an aging turtle." I wittingly snapback.

"You know what, asshole, you may be older than me, but I still hold higher rank than you! Now don't talk back to me if you're not ready to throw some hands you bitc--"

"Before you starting plotting my murder, I actually have to talk to you about something. It's a problem." I say, more serious this time.

His tone now loses it's angry and playful edge, shifting to a more serious tone.

"Fine. Spit it out, then."

"I think I've located the list." I finally say.

A slight pause.

"How is that a problem? Isn't that our goal?"

"Because it isn't located where we thought it was. It's not some secret place where it's being locked up and hidden."

"Then where is it?" August says, this time more agitated and anxious for a clear answer.

"It's out in the open for everyone to see."

"I'm sorry, Jin, I'm not following. What's the real problem here?!" He practically yells, his loud voice booming over the speaker of the phone. A slight series of crackles occur after over the phone line.

Unfazed, I reply to his question.

"It's being heavily guarded. And not just by anyone, but a Rank 8 Apprentice from the Liberal League of--."

"Yeah, I know the rest of their stupid league's name." August cuts me off.

"Yeah, and another problem. She's the--"

"Wait, they're a she?!" August cuts me off.

"Yeah."

"Being a man at a rank 8 is impressing, but definitely not a feet. Being a woman not only as a rank 8, but also an apprentice, it's pretty much impossible."

"They are the Liberal League. I guess they're trying to change up the norms." I say.

"Yeah, but you know when you're a female in any of the leagues, you've gotta be quite impressive. And knowing she's from the Liberal League, she's going to be a major pain in the ass. They also tend to be more manipulative."

"Well, then you better brace yourself for some more bad news." I say, bracing my own self for August's reaction.

"Well, I guess it can't get any worse."

"I'm strongly suspecting that it's the wife."

I hear a loud bang from the other side of the line immediately after I give my piece of information.

I suspected this reaction from him. We both knew how important this mission was and how the existence of our whole kind hung on the decisions and discoveries that we make.

And this recent discovery was going to put a major bump in our path.

"Your telling me the most essential person to this whole entire mission may be married to the one person that could be holding us back?!" August says slowly. I can hear the agitation slowly growing in his voice.