Collage at the Cousins' House

Noah, Pauline and Rachel visit a lot after that. Benjamin, Sam and Collage cook, try out new recipes, introduce them to their international friends, and invite some of their home school buddies too.

It's all too much after a while. Collage wants to be alone, by herself with Fred in her bedroom. Benjamin does the same. They declare these times "Independence Days." They read alone and paint. They look at their bug samples under the microscopes. Fred walks between their bedrooms. The quiet helps Collage and Benjamin feel stronger, as if they can do their homework in a single bound. Their cousins are fun but loud – this is like a rest and recovery time.

It's on one of these days that Mom interrupts. Uncle Tim has just called. He would like them to visit him for a change at their house in the country. What did they think?

"Great!" says the bleary-eyed Benjamin. "Can Sam come?"

"Fine, Mom," says impatient Collage. "Whatever. Just be sure to have the food we're supposed to bring."

"How about we talk about it tomorrow?"

"OK."

"OK."

At breakfast Collage asks, "So, where do they live?"

"Out in the country. They live in a cul-de-sac with farms and fields around them. Do you know the kids walk across the street to get their milk from a dairy? Tim says there's a farmer's produce stand down the street, and they can bicycle for their fruits and vegetables."

Collage feels a lurch in her stomach. She doesn't know how to ride a bike. Pauline said her favorite animal is a Holstein cow, but Collage has never seen one in real life. Would she have to meet one?

"When would we go?" asks Benjamin, scooping up cereal and leaving a milk moustache on his brown skin.

"Well, next Saturday, if that works with your schedules, of course." Mom has been observing the retreat days and hasn't quite figured out when they are necessary.

Collage frets. What should she wear? What if her shoes aren't right? Did she need to pull back her hair? How do you meet a cow anyway?

Mom comes by that Saturday morning and sees the pile of apples, bananas, oranges, lemons, kiwis and other fruit clothes stacked high on the bed. Collage is fingering a favorite peach dress then throws it, hanger and all, onto the rest.

"Collage, wear your favorite play outfit. It'll be fine."

She chooses her long, orange print gabardine pants with a tie at the waist. She tucks in an orange-dotted t-shirt over her undershirt. She slips on her orange tennies, then applies fake orange tattoos to the backs of her hands with one glittery one on her cheek.

"Hey Mom! Whaddaya think?" Collage stands with the palm of her hands near her shoulders, tattoos out.

"Spiffy, Collage! That's great!"

It is the first time Benjamin is ready before her: he wears his well-worn overalls over a long- sleeved purple t-shirt. His shoes still look new, since his preferred form of walking is barefoot. But, the clean black canvas fits his toes, and the white rubber is only lightly scuffed.

"Wow, Benjamin! You're ready!"

"Yup!" He rubs his hands together. He can't wait to get going. He looks forward to what he might see today that he has never seen before.

The ride is Sam-less and snack-less, longer than a bus ride to downtown. Mom and Tim have agreed that it might be enough for them to just show up. As they drive, there are open fields with tall rows of trees at the edges. Some fields are green with cattle on them and some are trenched in rows with sprouts on the hills. In between the different fields, are newish open courtyard housing developments. There is a long green strip between each row of houses with trees and shrubs at the base. Collage can see how the houses facing each other would not have to LOOK at each other if they didn't want to.

Collage watches as Mom peers into one development after another. Finally, she says to them, "Benjamin? Collage? I need to drive. Can you look for the number on the stone pier at the entry? We need number 229."

They count five cul-de-sacs before spying the right one. "This is it, Mom. Turn here," says Collage.

"OK." She angles the car to the left, pulling into the right lane. "Tim says they're to the back on the right. Can you look for 336?"

"There," cries Benjamin. "Look!"

In front of the house, over the doorway, is a sign "Welcome Cousins!" and beneath that "We're Glad That You Are Here!"

Collage sees heads peeking out from underneath the front window curtains, then quickly disappearing. Noah, Pauline and Rachel run out, flying like airplanes with their arms. Instead of their usual growling of the engines, they say, "Cousins, cousins, cousins," over and over again with a "Welcome" popped onto the end.

Collage and Benjamin stand shyly next to the car. The kids don't allow that for a minute. Not for one second. Before they know it, they are inside the house being shown all about with apologies by one and all for no library in the front room. Uncle Tim comes in with oven mitts on. "I'm cooking a bit outside. You kids want to come to the backyard? Collage and Benjamin, you too, Sis."

Ding! They have a pool. Collage protests at joining the kids in the water – she hasn't brought a suit. Pauline has already thought of that and has one laid out for Collage. Noah has a suit for Benjamin. They take turns changing in a wood shed at the back of the house facing the pool.

Collage tries to eavesdrop on Mom and Tim's conversation by the grill. Collage knows two things: Mom's wrinkled forehead means she is worried. And whoever Tim is talking about, Mom is very nervous about seeing them today.

Collage splashes her bare toes at the pool's edge and guesses they are having an argument.

"She's coming today?"

"Today," says Uncle Tim.

"Hate to tell you, sister, but Mom and I had a long talk about this. Look around! Everyone is relaxed, playing, there's burgers on the grill, sunshine. You can't ask for better circumstances."

Collage hears the front door bell ring. Then a voice, an old voice says, in greeting, "Hi kids! Hi Tim! Grandma's here!"

Grandma? Grandma? This was a person Collage only knew about in books. Now, Collage knows what Mom and Tim were talking about.

Collage sees an old lady walk through the sliding French doors. Her Mom looks puzzled as if she wouldn't have recognized her if she had passed her on the street or served her at a diner.

Collage sees the old woman take in a little breath when she sees her mom. She walks over and hugs her. "Oh..." The old lady is crying. "I am so glad to see you!"

She notices the old woman has a silver grey curly cap of hair, her neck is thick, wrinkled and looks like a turkey. Her hands have deep blue veins and brown spots. Her back is bent at the shoulders. She wears a pants suit of a shiny blue material with thick soled, white shoes. She looks like a million old ladies Collage has seen on the bus and at the library.

"Collage? Could you come here for a minute?" asks Mom. Collage jumps out of the pool, wraps a towel around her shoulders, and, barefoot, walks over to the old lady.

"Collage? I would like you to meet Claudine. She is my mother and your grandmother." Mom is very stiff and formal. "Benjamin? Can you come here a minute?"

Collage, mumbling, says, "Nice to meet you!" just to be polite as the old lady gushes about how pretty and grown up she is. Benjamin stretches out his hand for the customary handshake, and Grandmother takes it with crunchy eyes.

Collage then knows why she has never met this woman before. Collage sees that lady. She does. She sees how Mom, she and Benjamin make her nervous. Like she doesn't know what to do with them. Not like she is happy or glad to see them, but seeing them because she has to. Collage decides it will be a long while before she will call her grandma or anything else at all.